eyes - aren't they great!

kniclander

well, after a great deal of faffing about, i've no longer got a 6" dob or an ed80 but I've got a skymax 127 and cheapie binoviewers and some bits n' pieces including various pairs of meade 4000 super plossls.

What I hadn't realised (Doh!) is that there are different versions of the 4000s so my "pairs" are sort of more like non-identical twins - the differences are quite large - short and fat ones v taller and thinner ones. However i stuck them in the binoviewers (trying to make sure that the e/p lenses were the same height) and had a look. To my amazement, not only did the images merge comfortably in the 32mm (about 60x) they also popped in to place with the 12s (round about x150)!

The views of the moon were (as I'd hoped) breathtaking -you get the feeling it's a long long way down from the rim of Atlas to the floor....) but the double double was a very comfortable split too, showing colour, which i hadn't expected as I had thought the images would be mch "softer". what was also really nice, and I don't know why this is, is that there was a lovely bright pattern of rings around the bright stars. All in all very chuffed and thanks especially to the person who swapped me the mak (you know who you are:)) - you will need to change your user name now :).

One question - does anyone have any experience of binoviewing with a perfect matched pair v bino viewing with non-identical twins?

cheers

dan

Archived