NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Combining refractor and reflector images?

ollypenrice

Hi All,

With an Altair Astro imaging Newt on the way here for appraisal I have been thinking what to do with it during its stay. Has anyone tried using Newtonian colour and refractor luminance, I wonder? I'm curious to know whether the diffraction spikes will disappear. I rather think they might, since in my recent Antares shot I had huge colour reflections in the RGB but applying a reflection-free luminance layer all but removed them. Clearly it is an attractive idea to have top apo finesse in the luminance and f4 colour saturation/speed for the RGB.

But will it work?

Olly

Olly, I'm not an expert in DSO imaging. But I don't see any reason why you shouldn't mix images taken with different scopes ... I would have thought that the big practical difference would be getting the image scales to match, as different types of scope have different amounts of geometric distortion i.e. the image scale varies differently as you go away from the optical axis. Whatever field flattener / coma corrector you're using will probably have a major effect on geometric distortion.

Diffraction spikes can be removed pretty effectively using deconvolution, though the odd thing is that imagers using a 'frac often go out of their way to add artificial ones!

Archived