synscan goto uprgade for eq6

im thinking of maybe upgrading my skywatcher 250 eq6 with the synscan goto in the near future but have a couple of questions first....

1.is it easy to fit??

2.does it need to be polar aligned??? my neighbours gutter makes this difficult for accuracy

3.pardon my ignorance but will the synscan take me to things without the hassle of searching for it and keep them in focus??

4.is it good for photography??

thanks

Jody

1. Yes, just the motors inside the housing need changed. It's just a few screws and only takes a few minutes

2. Yes, really. The closer you are the better tracking, auto-guiding and goto accuracy you will get. You could drift align? See here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/103683-how-many-you-drift-align.html

3. Yes and no. It will take you to objects, although the handset isn't the easiest to use IMO, if you can hook it up to a laptop to use with a planetarium program. It won't do anything for focus though, this has to be manual unless you invest in some auto-focusing gear.

4. Oh yes, as it opens up the ability to use very nice things like EQMOD

thanks Euan.

i could polar align, i would just have to figure out where exactly it is through my neighbours gutter/window frame, its pretty accurate where i have it now.

what is eqmod??

Archived