Hey there! Thinking of getting into RA...

Well Ive always been very interested in space, and I happen to have an excellent quality 10 ft. dish sitting outside of my house, so I got to thinking and did some research, and from what I hear people have been able to convert these dishes and use them in Hydrogen Line radio astronomy. Is this accurate?

If it is, then Ive been looking around, trying to find out what exactly it is that I need to do this. From what Ive heard, I need a 1420 MHz "preamplifier", a receiver, and there was one other part (forgot what its called, typing this as I run out of the house to work).

I am basically just wondering if anyone could direct me to a good guide for as low-cost as possible solution to my desire to turn this antenna into an effective instrument for radio astronomy, preferably more sensitive than just being able to see the sun, I can do that myself just fine lol

So, any suggestions?

Archived