Clear Skies Forecasting - Does It Exist?

Hi All,

I can sense a big laugh going up when some of you read this question, but is there a reasonable method of forecasting clear skies?

The Metoffice satellite infra red and visible views seem quite useful but the local forecast is decidely hit and miss. The satellite views also give good history but not predictions. The link to the Metoffice is below:

Met Office: British Isles: Infrared satellite imagery

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Nick

Hi there I'm not sure if this will be any use to you but the link here cloud cover (total) 12 gmt + 6 precipitation / clouds nae united kingdom weather maps weatheronline

Might be some use to you with predictions to cloud cover the weather model is NAE (North Atlantic European Model) It comes straight from the UK Met Office and only go's out to 48hours. Hope its some use to you? ;)

Predictions are just what they say and for the British Isles maritime weather not worth a toss. Nowcasting is the only reliable means of casting and at local level practicably non existent. A good number of people on this forum use http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

Meto tend to err on the side of caution and most of the forecasts are so vague as to be worthless. My pick of the rest is 7 day Weather forecast - Local UK weather - Netweather.tv which for me are pretty accurate, if you have a local airport near you its worth seeing if they have a public forecast as aviation obviously needs pretty accurate data.

Archived