Need help with telescope case!

Hello,

I own a Celestron 8SE and I want to somehow build a case for this to make it easy to transport. The factory cases I found online are really expensive. $350 USD!!

The telescope already came with a nice individual box and padding for the tube and arm. I'm thinking of just using these and placing them in a plastic tool box type container.

I'm just wondering if any of you have made your own cases or found cheaper alternatives for storage and transport?

Clear skies!

Since the purchase of my first telescope some three months ago I've been looking into the same issue.

Results... same... prices that are absurd.

I painstakingly repaired the styrofoam that was on either ends of both telescope and tripod in their shipping boxes using some cheap wood glue. I intend to supplement this by:

a) purchasing some foam padding. If you google "pick and pluck foam" you'll see what I mean.

:) then wrapping each box carefully with duct tape to make the cardboard boxes sturdier.

c) then to close each box I will purchase some suitcase/luggagecase straps (google that too to see what I mean).

Hopefully, by being carefull and not allowying any water damage this should last for a few years until I can find something more suitable and reasonable in cost.

Hi,

I've also been considering the problem of transporting my telescope, tripod, mount and accessories, and am considering the following solutions, whether just one case for both telescope and tripod (without the mount), or seperate cases for each:

Cricket Coffins - Cricket Equipment Carry Cases / Coffins - Buy Online, water resistant, professional cricketers cases

Zeus Case - stylish portable exhibition carry case / pop up trade show display podium stand

Both of these are a lot cheaper than the $350 USD that you quoted. They also do "padded bag" type cases that you may find useful:

Padded Bags - custom made protective soft bag for plasma screen, OHP, and TFT monitor. Design, manufacture and screen printed by Trifibre

I am sure that there are a number of other companies out there offering similar products.

I would then put the EQ3-2 mount and counterweights in a more standard aluminium case, with the eyepieces in a separate smaller alu case.

My tuppenceworth!

Best Wishes,

I assume you're all talking about transporting your scopes on aeroplanes, trains, ships etc. When travelling by car I just put my 12-inch in the boot and it's fine. Would be nice to take it on holiday though!

Thank you all for your responses. I def. have some ideas now.

Acey: I wasnt really thinking of long distance travel with it but even taking it outside is a pain because I'm usually solo. I have a nice case for my lenses..a similar larger case for the scope would be nice.

Archived