need advice

i have had my XT8 DOB since the christmas as it was a family christmas gift from my brother in-law ( very grateful to him) . i am now looking to get some EP'S as it only came with the 25mm plossl . seeing how the scope has not cost me anything at this point i am considering either the baader genuine ortho's or the televue plossl's all in the 5, 9, 15 ,and maybe a 32mm . does this sound like good MM size EP'S for a orion XT8 scope ? i just figured i could spend a little more for a better set of EP's , so which would you say would be a better buy or is there another type you would recomend? thank you for your time in advance .

ps i have been reading all the great info this site has to offer and i am now just confused by all the choices of EP's . thanks again .

Sam

The TV Plossls are very good eyepieces, they cost a little more but are worth it. They are good all rounders and will be great for DSO's and the moon alike.

The Baader Ortho's are mainly for planetary and binary work and have a little less eye relief.

If I was you I would buy the TV plossls in the following range. A 32mm, 25mm, 15mm, 10mm, and 5mm.

sorry for my late response i have been out of town for a few days . thank you for the welcomes .

i have found a site that has the televue plossl's about $25 less than the ortho's so do you think i should do the 10mm 15mm 25mm and 32mm in the televue plossl and then do just the 6mm in the badder genuine orthoscopic ? would this be a nice set to go with the orion XT8 to get the most out of it ? thank you again for all the great reading info on this site and your input on EP's.

Sam

Hi Sam, How about this idea:

Instead of buying 5 EPs, just get three and a 2x Barlow lens - 9mm Baader Ortho, 25 & 32mm Tele Vue Plössls and a Celestron Ultima SV 1.25" 2x Barlow.

In your 'scope (203 ap, 1200 fL, f/5.9) you'd get the following mags and true fields of view

32mm 38x 1.33º (16mm 75x 0.67º with Barlow)

25mm 48x 1.04º (12.5mm 96x 0.52º)

9mm 133x 0.32 (4.5mm 267x 0.16º)

Then save up for a TV 55mm Plössl, at 22x and a 2.29º tFoV possibly the widest angle view you'll get with your 'scope. Even if it only has an apparent FoV of 50º.

HTH :)

Archived