help for a beginner need

hi

im intrested in take up astronomy would this telescope be any good as a starter to see how i get on

99705 Galileo 400 Telescope, £59.00

Telescope Commemorates 400th Anniversary of Galileo’s First.

Galileo Galilei built his first telescope in 1609, with a magnification of 3x, later developing instruments with magnification of up to 30x.

His astronomical observations, including the orbit of Jupiter’s moons in January 1610, led him to conclude that the geocentric (central Earth) model was wrong, much to the consternation of fellow scientists and the Catholic Church.

This special edition telescope celebrates the 400th anniversary of Galileo’s first telescope, adorned with images symbolising his conflict with religion, and key dates from his lifetime.

Our telescope has a 76mm lens with a focal length of 300mm, supplied with two eyepieces giving magnifications of 12 and 30 times, a side-mount 5x finderscope, and simple altazimuth mount. Telescope measures 10" long, swivel base diameter 8".

Everything comes ready-assembled in the box, making it very convenient to use and highly portable. A great introduction to astronomy.

colin

Colin, I edited the text colour, as it was difficult to read.

Ron.

That telescope will work well for the moon and maybe a couple of other objects. I would say it's the kind of telescope that can be given to a child under 12 but I think that anyone older would be disappointed with the views and would probably turn away from the hobby.

For a teenager or grownup I would recommend one of this:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P

Evostar - Skywatcher Evostar 90 (AZ3)

Anyway there are lots of scopes to all prices and tastes. If you tell us a bit more of what you expect to see, if you need it to be somewhat portable or not and a budget we can best advise you.

How much as a maximum?

And for possible places where do you live?

I am south of Cambridge and the other side of Cambridge is ScopenSkies. There are posts of people not getting items sent but they do have a lots of scopes, say 100 set up on display, and are fairly low on the prices. Ideal if you can get there but a bit of a gamble otherwise.

Archived