NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which is better?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im gonna go for the 35mm but i could also ask a friend to let me borrow thier 32mm

I said 35ish. 32 will do just fine. Thats what I got with a telescope that haves the same FL then the 150PL and, except for the huge North America Nebula, I been able to fit anything into the FOV.

so to top it off the 150PL is good at viewing planets/moons etc. but not as good as the 150P for viewing DSOs

Erm... Not really. That's the bit I disagree with. The number of Deep Sky targets which can't be viewed properly with 150PL compared to 150P is?...

Most SCTs have focal lengths at least as long as the 150PL - are they all "not as good" for deep sky as a 150P? :headbang:

It's just Product Marketing weaving their magic over people... :D

The 150PL haves a 1200mm of focal length.

So using a 32mm you have 1200/32 = 37.5x Magnification.

Using a 35mm you have 1200/35 = 34.28x Magnification.

It's almost the same. The lowest mag would only allow a little more sky to appear in the FOV.

I said 35ish. 32 will do just fine. Thats what I got with a telescope that haves the same FL then the 150PL and, except for the huge North America Nebula, I been able to fit anything into the FOV.
ok thanks for telling me :headbang: i wont need that right away though to be honest im only a beginner lol :D ill leave that till later on im on a short budget to be honest and i only have £120 of the money up to yet but i will defenatly be fully setup by xmas with a perfect setup i should have my telescope in the next week or so if everything goes to plan. hopefully the sun will want to shine on me just to make things go my way for a bit haha

Erm... Not really. That's the bit I disagree with. The number of Deep Sky targets which can't be viewed properly with 150PL compared to 150P is?...

Most SCTs have focal lengths at least as long as the 150PL - are they all "not as good" for deep sky as a 150P? :headbang:

It's just Product Marketing weaving their magic over people... :D

ohh ok thanks i thought thats what it was haha

You don't need to rush to any extras. The 2 eps + barlow give you 4 great magnifications to use and it's all you need to start.

I would only suggest the moon neutral density filter, but you can do just fine using sunglasses to look at the moon.

Other then that, the most important is to use the scope at least 10 nights on different targets till you know what you want to add. Maybe you'll find what you have is more then enough!

You don't need to rush to any extras. The 2 eps + barlow give you 4 great magnifications to use and it's all you need to start.

I would only suggest the moon neutral density filter, but you can do just fine using sunglasses to look at the moon.

Other then that, the most important is to use the scope at least 10 nights on different targets till you know what you want to add. Maybe you'll find what you have is more then enough!

yeahh for starter ill get the density filter and then ill worry about other stuff later on when im famaliar with what im actually wanting to do with the telescope

You don't need to rush to any extras. The 2 eps + barlow give you 4 great magnifications to use and it's all you need to start. Use the scope at least 10 nights on different targets till you know what you want to add.

Brunty - Paulo's simple advice above should be printed on the box of every telescope sold. Extremely good advice.

Archived