explorer 130 help

The amount of accessories available is enormous. Would help if you can tell what is the purpose so we can point some accessories.

Here are a few you may consider:

Better EPs if you are not satisfied with the quality of the ones you have.

A laser collimator to make the process easier.

Dew shield if you're having problems with dew.

Motors for the mount if you don't like to operate it manually.

It's better to use what you got now and find out what you need. People have different tastes/needs.

Paulo is right, get out there and observe, find out what you prefer - Moon, planets, DSOs - and then we can advise accordingly.

For instance, planetary observers sometimes develop from a good set of colour filters. DSO observers get alot out of OIII or UHC filters. Moon observers find a Moon filter indispensable, and sometimes I have heard of them using various colour filters, too.

Of course, you might find you just love it all, and want to buy everything :headbang: but you'll make a better decision if you test the waters first.

As a straight off buy, I'd suggest a 3x barlow. I use mine nearly every session. Not so much for DSOs, but for splitting doubles and increasing mag on planets. It was a great buy, great price with good optics :D

make sure you have a look at the Moon once you get the 3x barlow Brunty, you'll be blown away :headbang: be patient when focusing with it too, there's a really tight 'sweet spot' where the focus is really tight... just slowly and patiently twiddle the focus knob and you'll get there :D

Tal seams to have a good reputation.

I don't mean to be rude towards Amanda. Each person have different tastes and she may have been luckier then me with her barlow. I personally don't like to use mine. It creates a blured image, my 10mm unbarlowed gives a better image then my 20mm + barlow, even though the 20mm is a better EP. The only reason I kept it is cause I'm planning to do some planetary imaging later on and it seams to be a required item.

Amanda's scope haves a short focal length, thus a 3x barlow makes sense so she can get a high mag. It may be too much on your scope that haves a longer FL. You should do the math to see witch mags you'll be getting out of it with your current EPs. Either to confirm the 3x or switch for a 2 or 2.5x.

Personally, when it comes to observation I find a decent set of 4 EPs cover all my needs and a barlow is not needed. I bought more then I needed cause I rushed into it, if it was now I would have bought the following:

2 Widefield EPs:

- 28mm Nirvana (or my 32mm Agena if on a budget witch is excelent for the price): I use this one like 85% of the time for DSOs. 35x or so on my scope

- A good midde level EP (in 15-13mm range): For those small DSOs like M57 or to scan detail inside big DSOs like the orion neb. Gives around 80x on my scope.

Then 2 good planetary EPs:

- 1 around 9mm for most nights. 130x on my scope

- 1 around 5mm only for those excellent seeing condition night. 240x on my scope

Please remember, this is just my personal taste, other people may disagree.

Best advice again is: Try out your gear, find witch mags you'll use the most and then invest in them.

Yeah that's a good option. At least you won't end up like me with 3 eps and a barlow i never use... :headbang:

I had a bit more time now so I did the math:

With your 900mm FL the 10mm gives you 90x. With the 3x barlow that would be 270x witch is just 10x over the limit of your scope so you could probably get away with it. :D

Archived