mag for jupiter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....p.s. can anyone tell me the difference between a ploss ep and a normal ep?

There is no "normal" eyepiece as such.They come in a number of different designs eg: plossl, kellner, achromatic huygens (AH), orthoscopic, erfle etc etc. The plossl is a good general purpose design and very popular. The ones supplied with scopes tend to be either plossl or a type of kellner / AH design (Skywatcher call theirs "super wides" I think). Plossls have 4 pieces of glass in them (generally) while kellners and AH's have 3.

John

• 2 weeks later...

"normal" eyepiece... there isn't just one normal one.

The eyepieces that came with your scope are an older design with about 40 degree apparent field of view. Stars will begin to get fuzzy about 1/2 way out to the edge.

A plossl eyepiece adds an extra lense to get about a 50 degree apparent field of view..... the glass piece you look through will be about 20% bigger.

There are more expensive designs that offer 68 degrees AFOV (Baeder Hyperions are one), 70 degrees , 82 degrees and even 100 degrees AFOV... but they get very expensive.

On planet images, when the planet is in the center of the field, any eyepiece is about the same. Out to the edge performance is what gets VERY expensive. Were I in your shoes I would not waste my money on a 6mm eyepiece. I would upgrade the 25mm to a wider apparent field of view first (or perhaps add a 31mm plossl).

Archived