Do I need goto?

Hi all,

fairly new here (this my first real post), i was hoping someone could answer a very basic question for me. I have a 120mm refractor and my nieghbour has a 8" skywatcher. I am just about to try and get into astrophotography and was wondering if i would need a goto mount or a tracking mount? At the moment we both have standard mounts (he has EQ5 and I have EQ3-2). I know this is probably a daft question but I want to make the right decision as it could cost money ;)

Thanks

You don't need GOTO but I find it helps especially with imaging. A tracking mount is a must as you'll need the mount to follow the object you're taking a picture of as it crosses the sky.

The other thing about GOTO mounts is that they normally have a port where you can use a guide camera, these help enormously especially when you're doing long esposures.

Tony..

Thanks for the reply Tony, much appreciated. I think the tracking mount is what i will go for for now, i believe you can get the upgrade kits and fit them onto the mount? If thats the case then that shouldnt be an issue. As im only just about to venture into photography, I dont really understand about exposure times and guides etc, i think i will pick it up as i go along though. Any advice would be more than welcome. I am a total Newb lol

• 3 weeks later...

The EQ6 is big though... VERY hefty... You may be biting off more than you can chew with an EQ6

The HEQ5 Pro is more manageable and is still very sturdy - a definite step up from a standard EQ5. The HEQ5 is specifically designed to be just like an EQ6 but scaled down a bit for the sake of a bit more portability.

(not that the HEQ5 is by any means a lightweight!)

Archived