Bresser Skylux NG

Hi,

I am a newbie to astronomy and have been using my father in laws telescope when I visit and binoculars at home for about a year. It is safe to say that I am now hooked at looking into the nights sky and have been thinking for a few weeks of finaly getting my own scope. I dont want to spend too much as this may be just a fad (this is what my wife said). Initially I was looking at The Skywatcher Explorer 130, but have read reviews for and against. Then today I was looking in Lidl to see what was on special and I noticed they had a Bresser Skylux NG scope for £60. Is this worth the cash or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks Mark

Mark, I don't really know much about them, but Lidl have done this offer from time to time, and those who have bought that scope have been happy with it..

There's a bit of discussion on it http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/71852-bresser-70-700-lidl.html

Perhaps someone who bought one before will pop online shortly and can comment on it specifically.

Mark, I don't really know much about them, but Lidl have done this offer from time to time, and those who have bought that scope have been happy with it..

There's a bit of discussion on it http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/71852-bresser-70-700-lidl.html

Perhaps someone who bought one before will pop online shortly and can comment on it specifically.

Thanks.

I might get one tomorrow and then maybe upgrade next year if the astronomy bug sticks. Although I will probably change my mind again tomorrow and start looking at the Explorer 130 again????????

Decisions decisions.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to SGL.

Selecting a telescope is a critical first step and a usable scope is one that has good optics , a decent aperture and most importantly a stable mount and tripod.

You can have the best optics but without a stable mount and tripod the optics are useless.

The Bresser Skylux from LIDL is a basic option and easy on the wallet.

However if you have already used a scope and binoculars , you may outgrow this very quickly.

One more factor to consider is whether you want a general purpose scope, or specific for planetary/lunar observation, or more towards Deep sky observations.

You may want to spend a little more initially and enjoy the hobby rather than being frustrated by the limitations of a cheap beginner scope.

Check out the Celestron Omni xlt and the Skywatcher 150P EQ3-2 .

You did not say what size scope your father in law has if it is say 6inch reflector then the view through the Bressor refractor would be disappointing in comparison.

In its own right the Skylux is a great little scope if you only ever have just a general interest in astronomy. When Saturn was well placed earlier in the year the scope showed the ring as a pencil thin line either side of the planet. Jupiter is more prominent now so it will show the 4 moons well. I know my way around the night sky so finding fainter objects like nebulae and galaxies is no problem. The scope showed galaxies M81 and M82 as two nice lttle smudges which was a nice surprising. My skies are very dark which helps enormously for seeing these things. If you suffer from light pollution get an Explorer 130P or better still the 150.

Mike

If you want to increase your aperture for better views also consider the Skywatcher Heritage 130P flex tube dob. Very compact and a nice price (about £130) although it is limited to 1.25" eyepieces. The 130P will give you three times as bright objects or about twice as large. Remember almost everything in the night sky is tiny, dim or both!

i think I have gone off the Lidl scope now. Not beacuse of the comments on this forum (well maybe a little), but I like to think that this will not be a fad and would like to get something more substantial. Do you think a Dobsonian is the way to go? I have been tossing between the Skyhawk 1145PM and Explorer 130.;)

Mark

You did not say what size scope your father in law has if it is say 6inch reflector then the view through the Bressor refractor would be disappointing in comparison.

In its own right the Skylux is a great little scope if you only ever have just a general interest in astronomy. When Saturn was well placed earlier in the year the scope showed the ring as a pencil thin line either side of the planet. Jupiter is more prominent now so it will show the 4 moons well. I know my way around the night sky so finding fainter objects like nebulae and galaxies is no problem. The scope showed galaxies M81 and M82 as two nice lttle smudges which was a nice surprising. My skies are very dark which helps enormously for seeing these things. If you suffer from light pollution get an Explorer 130P or better still the 150.

Mike

Hi Mike,

my father in laws scope is an old Tasco refractor of which I think may be on a par of the Lidl scope if that. I live on the outskirts of London, so light polution is not bad, but it is a problem. I was hoping not to spend any more than £200 as mainly my wife will kill me. Will the 130P and 150 be that much better than the Explorer 130 and Skyhawk 1145PM? If so I could just order one and tell my wife over dinner later.;)

Thanks

Mark

The 114 is a little on the small side - a 130mm scope in a reflector is the smallest you should go. With a £200 budget your choice in reflector is the 130 or 130P on an equatorial mount or a 150 on a dobsonian mount.

The advantage of an equatorial mount is that it tracks the stars more easily. The dobsonian mount being a lower cost puts more money into the scope so you get a bigger aperture.

Mike.

Archived