Filter Tips

Hello.

I just got into astronomy most by reading stuff online and then doing some gazing with binoculars I already had at home. Managed to see jupiter + 3 moons and andromeda, all of them shaky so I didn't venture to other M objects.

My main objective in the short run is to observe the following objects:

1) Spiral Galaxys

2) Nebulas

3) Jupiter

4) Saturn (when its back up in the sky, in my region)

5) Moon

I'm going to order my gear soon. This is the list I think is best suited for my observing targets. I would appreciate any advice on improving it before I order the stuff in.

Telescope: Orion XT8 Dob (1200 focal)

Eyepieces: 25mm, 10mm and a 6mm for planets (all Sirius Plossl series)

Finderscope: 9x50mm orion standard

Filters: Lunar, (???)

As you can see my biggest doubt is on the filters. I need filters that brings out the most detail possible in spirals and nebulas.

Been reading a lot and I can't find advice on best filters to bring out detail and contrast in spiral galaxy's. Whats the best suited type of filter for spiral detail in your opinion?

As for nebulas, from what I read so far the UHC seams to be suited for most of them, although the OIII seams to bring out more details/contrast but dimmes them more. If anyone haves both, what are your thoughts?

Also, what filters are best suited to observer jupiter and saturn?

Notes: I decided not to go with a GOTO, because I think I'll get bored of astronomy if I have a computer doing it all for me. Besides I'm a software developer and I spend too much time using computers as it is.

I'm also trying to keep this up to 600€ so i'll probably just buy 1 of either the UHC or OIII for now, depending on your advice.

Genrally I've found that galaxies don't respond to UHC or OIII filters - the best wat to get good views of them is to get your scope under truly dark skies.

Your thoughts on the effect of those filter on nebulae are what I've found. Bear in mind though that filters vary in their bandpass width brand to brand eg: the Baader OIII is more "severe" than, say the Astronomik OIII that I use now. The effect of a good UHC / OIII on planetary nebulae is very pronouced - the Veil nebula for example is practically invisible unfiltered in many scopes but, with my 0III I can see it really well with even my 4" scope.

I don't use filters on Jupiter and Saturn so I'll let others comment there.

John

I have a newby question: In the web site I have both eyepiece and barrel O-III available. Witch one is better? Does barrel mean I attach it to the focuser and I can then switch eyepieces at will, without unscrewing the filter and then screw it on the other eyepiece?

Genrally I've found that galaxies don't respond to UHC or OIII filters - the best wat to get good views of them is to get your scope under truly dark skies.

Your thoughts on the effect of those filter on nebulae are what I've found. Bear in mind though that filters vary in their bandpass width brand to brand eg: the Baader OIII is more "severe" than, say the Astronomik OIII that I use now. The effect of a good UHC / OIII on planetary nebulae is very pronouced - the Veil nebula for example is practically invisible unfiltered in many scopes but, with my 0III I can see it really well with even my 4" scope.

I don't use filters on Jupiter and Saturn so I'll let others comment there.

John

What filter would you personally advice for DSO?

UHC or better go for OIII ?

Thanks

I have a newby question: In the web site I have both eyepiece and barrel O-III available. Witch one is better? Does barrel mean I attach it to the focuser and I can then switch eyepieces at will, without unscrewing the filter and then screw it on the other eyepiece?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here - could you post a link to the web site so we can see the filters you have been looking at ?.

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here - could you post a link to the web site so we can see the filters you have been looking at ?.

Thanks,

John

Herm... it's in Portuguese. so maybe the "barrel" translation is not even valid.

I browsed the lumicon official sites and this seam to be the 2 same filters:

Oxygen III Cassegrain Rear Cell - A Big Name in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

Filter Oxygen III 1.25in - A Big Name in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

PS-> I accidently pressed report instead of "quote" the 1st time... :) Sorry about that.

Thanks,

John

Herm... it's in Portuguese. so maybe the "barrel" translation is not even valid.

I browsed the lumicon official sites and this seam to be the 2 same filters:

Oxygen III Cassegrain Rear Cell - A Big Brand in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

Filter Oxygen III 1.25in - A Big Brand in Astronomy Industry Telescope Accessories

PS-> I accidently pressed report instead of "quote" the 1st time... :) Sorry about that.

Archived