NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Temporary fix to the secondary

I went at the secondary last night with my Phillips screwdrive, a set of Allen keys, and a 4lb. mallet. The secondary loosened quite nicely, but still, nothing I put in those screw heads would move them. After fiddling for a while I decided on an old mechanic's solution - I cut some tiny shims out of cardboard, and put them between the screw and the secondary holder. That moved the centre of the mirror almost perfectly to the centre, and I was able to adjust the primary to line everything up as well as I'm going to get it without taking the whole thing apart and never getting it back together quite right. The image of Jupiter was slightly improved, though.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I do have the nerve to take the whole thing apart, it's just the likely delay in getting it back together that's putting me off.

Archived