NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew shield and dew systems

Thinking of purchasing a dew shield for my nexstar 6se. Wondering which one to buy- or should I make my own? Seen the astrozap one's and also the celestron version. Hopefully a shield will work on its own for awhile-topped up with a 12v hairdryer-before I invest in a system. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

niapost:)

Make your own from a foam camping mat. Keep it in place by tying string round it, or for a more deluxe version use Velcro tape. Total cost around a tenner.

For best results get a mat that is black on at least one side, so that the interior of the dewshield won't reflect unwanted light into the scope.

For a 6-inch scope you want the dewshield to extend at least 9 inches beyond the end of the tube, but the longer the better, as long as it doesn't sag and intrude on the light path.

Go for a lightweight mat - "2 seasons" rather than 4. The insulating properties are irrelevant to dew prevention, cardboard would work just as well. It works by shielding the corrector plate from the cold sky, so that heat radiates less quickly from it.

Make a little cardboard one for your finder while you're at it, held on with an elastic band.

Archived