NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Pillar Extension

Having felt a need for a CHANGE from "tripods", I've just bought myself a Skywatcher EQ5/HEQ5 PILLAR mount. This is just what I want, and I'm very pleased. I like the wheeled, adustable stand - Only thing is, there's not a whole lot (32") of pillar. :)

Checking out a page from "Widescreen", I see there is e.g. a 16" extension. Paradoxically, perhaps a bit LONG for what I want, but...

From the picture on the site, it is pretty self evident what fits on the TOP of the extension. LESS clear is what's on the bottom of the extension! Th extension seems designed to sit on top of an HEQ5 tripod. But I wonder if it will sit on top of the pillar mount column?

I'm happy with the complex bits, so maybe it would simple be better to seek out a one piece replacement 4" tube. I sense e.g. aluminium might be a bit lighter... :D

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone wise (foolish) enough to follow this path: YES, all the parts fit togeather as expected. In short(!) you end up with a tall pillar... But just as I wanted! <G> The extension was bought from (the sole supplier) "Widescreen", who proved very prompt! :)

Archived