NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi resolution overlays - techniques

Just to pass on a few things I have found out by trial and error...

If you want to add data from a longer focal length to a wider field image this is what works for me. It is a mixture of my usual system and that of Rob Hodgkinson as described on his Cocoon post and is the best I've yet found.

Open both images in Registar and register the small one to the large and calibrate it but DON'T apply it in Registar.

Open the widefield and the registered-calibrated close up in Ps and paste the close-up onto the wide, blend mode Normal at 50%. Nudge it around till it is perfectly aligned then put the blend to 100%. Edge artifacts will show. Lasso them with a good feather and raise or lower the Curve of the lasso-ed bit of the small image till it is close to that of the large. As close as you can get it. You might do the colours individually in Curves.

Use the erasor tool set at about 50% to rub away the edges of the small image till it blends seamlessly with the large.

I like this method and attach my previously-posted Iris as an example, redone this way. It is better than the version applied in Registar and then corrected in Ps. Thanks to Rob for his explanation. I hadn't thought of using the erasor.

As ever I may have missed a trick in the proper use of Registar so if someone is ahead on this no doubt they'll explain all!

Olly

639127195_WyqVT-X3.jpg

Guess what Olly....my next one, which I have yet to process, is the Iris :D

I use the eraser with a very soft brush, and use different opacities....last night, for fine work at the edge of a galaxy, I used the brush at 5% opacity, with it in airbrush mode and set to a flow of 10%.

This is like painting with an almost dry brush, and if you're careful, the blend is nearly seamless.

Cheers

Rob

You're a pretty tough act to follow Olly, especially these days :D

I spend hour on end processing, and experimenting with PS and really enjoy that aspect. For me the data gathering is the science and engineering, and the processing the art, and that appeals to both sides of my nature :)

When are you going to get an AP1200? I'll be down with my rig when you do :(

Cheers

Rob

Archived