NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 5146 - The Cocoon Nebula

Catanonia

Not too bad a night last night. Managed to have a play with the scopes with my lad CJ. You probably have seen the thread of his 1st DSO :)

After he finished, he helped me guide on to the Cocoon Nebula IC 5146 and start of the 1st set of images before he went to bed.

Well 3 hours of data later we have the following.

2 hours 20 mins of 10 min subs

40 mins of 5 min subs

About 50 mins of darks added along with flats and dark flats.

All at ISO 800 on Canon EOS 350D modded with Baader

Shot on Skywatcher EvoStar Pro ED120 at 900mm F7.5

Processed with DSS and PhotoShop CS3

Again the moon got in the way with its light and the last set of 10 min stacks had the same detail as the 1st lot of 5 min stacks.

The moon is lovely, but I wish it would go and hide somewhere :)

post-16631-133877390663_thumb.jpg

Might have to wait for the Ha filter. After the 12nm Astronomik clip one for the EOS but about £140 to get. Funds don't allow yet.

Got 2 weeks in Turkey (holiday) soon, so saving for spends for beer money :)

Sure could get a lot more data into this image if the moon wasn't there. The DSS score dropped from 50,000 - 12,000 within 1/2 hour when the moon appear properly out of the clouds last night.

Here is a 100% crop of the nebula region

ic5146%20zoom.jpg

Very nice Cat - got to spend the tiem to get the results and your certainly doing that now :)

Wait till the moons out of the way .. or use Ha filter... did you find one after - I'll be interested to see the results of a DSLR and the narrower filter...

Peter...

Archived