SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Unusual for me, did some observing tonight

Catanonia

Was all setup around 10pm for imaging of M101 within the observatory and was very hopeful due to the mess office report for a good night.

Well you guessed it, the forecast was completely wrong and it was none stop cloud here in Cheshire. After taking loads of darks and cursing the clouds I decided I couldn't live on chat alone and had to pack up for bed.

I also noticed it was very bright and that it was a full moon. Well normally the moon is hidden behind a massive hedge to my south and beyond my observatory FOV. Well I wasn't going to take out mount and scopes from the observatory, but I did have my camera tripod and Sony A700 with a 1000mm lense :)

Out she came and I managed to get some lovely 1000mm direct shots of the moon and I also managed to get my 1st ever look at Jupiter who was shining away.

I couldn't believe that I could see 4 of Jupiter moons directly through the view finder on the 1000mm lense attached to the DSLR.

I got a few shots, but not that good as was a spur of the moment effort.

So there you go, had a bit of an observing session when the clouds wouldn't play as I spent more time looking with a couple of snaps :)

Archived