Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars-what can I expect to see?

Firstly I would like to say as a total newcomer to this forum, what an informative and pleasant place it is, the wealth of information that gets passed around is really helpful and you all seem very friendly!

After deliberating on what 'scope I should buy first, I have finally decided that to start with, I would like to use some binoculars. I have read some very compelling advice to other newcomers in the last few days that has brought me to this decision. The sticky thread for beginners and advice from the likes of ashenlight, Vulpecula, Millamber and jgs001 have struck a chord with me, particularly in respect of learning the skies before jumping in with a 'scope.

So with all this information crammed into my head, I am now attempting to decide on a pair of bins that will suit. My question (finally!) is what stars, planets and nebulae can I expect to see with 'recommended' 10x50's, 15x70's or similar and what level of detail could I expect under realistic conditions?

I will most likely look for some stabilisation in the form of a tripod of some fashion as I understand the larger the bins, the harder it is to keep them stable.

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Archived