NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Matrix Mirror

I am avers to the risks involved in grinding a mirror. As adept as I am, I frequently end up over-engineering with the consequence of omitting something obvious in the process.

Hence, my interest in anything non-glass. By the time I make a super precise mirror (even if I could) it would be lost, strayed, stolen, or cracked while attempting to get its surface coated.

Here is the query: Can a ground based telescope's mirror be constructed of regular (mirror) rectangles affixed to a rigid surface? I say regular rectangles as these would all be of the same size. Conceptually, I see some holes might develop if the mirrors were not properly arranged. Even so at some scale, the image would probably lack at some level of illumination. A follow on question would be: what is the ration of entire matrix diameter to width of the rectangle parallel to the circumference (here I am presuming this would be the smaller of the mirror's dimensions)?

Archived