NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Daytime photography

teztwister

You need an infra red blocking filter on the lens - or in the camera throat if using EF but not EF-S lenses (EF-S lenses can't be used with camera throat filters because the rear lens element tries to occupy the same space). Even then you may need to tweak the white balance. Shoot raw mode only so that you can fiddle with the white balance after shooting without the quality reduction that goes with tweaking jpegs.

With a 350D you can just use a custom white balance filter . Easy to do, the manual will tell you how - but basically you shoot a piece of white paper, tell the camera it is white and the CWB sets itself to those parameters. When you want to use it you just select CWB from the menu.

Arthur

Like Arthur I use CWB when shooting jpegs and sort the color balance out in the post processing when shooting raws...the cheapest is to use CWB... and tweak out any remaining colour cast issues in the post processing

Another option is the Astronomik OWB "Original White Balance" filter .. the cheapest is to use CWB...

Peter...

Thanks for the info ,i havent got one yet but i am going to,so looks like i will be able to get it modded and still be able to use it as a normal daytime camera.

At the moment i havent got a clue what you are on about but im sure when i get the camera i will be able to work it out !!

Tez

From personal experience, I found that using custom balance on a modded cam (one without the uv/ir filter replaced by a baader or similar) will make for some very interesting effects on a warm summer day. :)

Tez, if you have your camera modded, and are not interested in infrared photography, opt to have the original filter replaced with a baader filter. Most modders nowadays do that anyways. It does cost a little more than just having the original filter removed, but it will keep autofocus working and as mentioned above, you'll be able to just use custom white balance without resorting to any other filters.

If you do opt to use the camera for infrared photography, you will need to replace the original filter with a clear filter. Those are hard to come by nowadays, a lot of modders don't even offer that option anymore. But in that case, you will have to get a filter like the mentioned OWB filter or the astronomic Luminance filter (along with custom white balance).

I know, a lot of info there, but if you get your camera modded you need to be aware of the options and consequences.

Daniel

From personal experience, I found that using custom balance on a modded cam (one without the uv/ir filter replaced by a baader or similar) will make for some very interesting effects on a warm summer day. :)

Tez, if you have your camera modded, and are not interested in infrared photography, opt to have the original filter replaced with a baader filter. Most modders nowadays do that anyways. It does cost a little more than just having the original filter removed, but it will keep autofocus working and as mentioned above, you'll be able to just use custom white balance without resorting to any other filters.

If you do opt to use the camera for infrared photography, you will need to replace the original filter with a clear filter. Those are hard to come by nowadays, a lot of modders don't even offer that option anymore. But in that case, you will have to get a filter like the mentioned OWB filter or the astronomic Luminance filter (along with custom white balance).

I know, a lot of info there, but if you get your camera modded you need to be aware of the options and consequences.

Daniel

Can i ask what is infrared photography,whats it used for

Tez

Oops, looks like I opened a can of worms lol.

Take a look at this gallery:

Infrared Photo Gallery by Jeffrey Klassen at pbase.com

In essence, you have a camera that's been modified to be sensitive to infrared, and you use a filter than only lets infrared light to come through. The images come out in monochrome, usually shades of red or gray, with the warmer parts of the scene showing up as brighter than the cooler parts. In the summertime, leaves are usually very warm compared to say, the trunk or a lake, creating the effect you see in the gallery, of white snowy looking leaves and grass. Pretty cool.

Just remember though, there are tradeoffs if you have your cam modified to be sensitive in that respect. You can still do infrared photography with an unmodified camera and an IR filter, but the shutter speed would be very slow, blurring moving things like leaves and grass, unless it's very calm.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Yup, on a bright sunny day you can still do it with the unmodded one Arthur. Not sure about the baader modded ones though, since they're pretty good at cutting off IR, maybe even better at it than the canon original filter.

i know, I opened a Pandora's box, didn't I? :)

Daniel

I have removed the Filter on the 350D and use that for IR with a Hoya R72 filter...

[ATTACH]24536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24537[/ATTACH]

The 1000D has a Baader ACF fitted...

Best of both world then but I haven't bothered either re-shimming of fitting a clear glass to the 350d so I cant get infiity focus with some camera lenses on it anymore...

But no probs on the scopes...

Peter...

Archived