SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory at Mont Megantic, Quebec

mike.brightmore

Going to visit my daughter in Montreal next week. She has arranged a visit to the Astrolab and observatory at Mont Megantic. They do popular astronomy presentations and tours of the obsy and let the public look through their 61 cm and 1.6 m telescopes. Staying there a couple of nights so should be able to have a good look round. Has anyone been there.

No, but I'll be driving by Montreal in a couple of weeks, on our way to Newfoundland. We're looking for things to see on the way. If we go through Canada, we'll hit Montreal late on the first day. Could be a possibility. 1.6metres! Mensch! Five feet of mirror!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to up-date the thread I thought I would attach a couple of pics of the observatory. There is also a smaller one with a 70 cm reflector. They are doing a lot here to create a dark sky reserve. Just wish they could do something about the cloud as well.

post-15108-133877381857_thumb.jpg

post-15108-133877381864_thumb.jpg

Tours are all in French but everyone speaks English as well. My daughter went with me and her French is good. Displays in the Astrolab are in both languages. The smaller scope (below) was donated to them with the proviso that its available to the pubic.

post-15108-13387738245_thumb.jpg

Archived