Trackers - are they obsolete?

Reviving my trusted old Lightrack II, that "of course" needed bits and bobs made me thinking: with an SA GTi available at <£500, with all GOTO, etc support, direct USB control in a compact package, why would someone choose (buy) e.g an Adventurer 2i or Skyguider Pro nowadays?

IMHO the "market" is covered by many alternatives for all budgets:

- starting with zero(!) mount budget: recent cameras have very low readout noise, just do a hundred or two 10sec exposures with a short FL/WA lens and combine them e.g. in sequator

- up to £500: SA GTI: full goto/computerized control on both axis, full planet latitude range

- around £1000 (have to say, that my lightrack+fornax wedge was more in todays pounds!): entry level harmonic mounts

One thing maybe: even less weight for flight travel (don't know the complete system weights though for the SA 2i or Ioptron sky guider), simplicity and long term reliability (?? for SA 2i+Sky guider have my doubts, but absolutely valid point for my tank-built Lightrack!)

Edited by GTom

The only reasons I can think of is:

A. Compactness,

B. Weight,

C. Minimal power requirement,

D. They don't know any better.

One of my previous solutions was even more compact than yours, an Omegon LX, mechanical powered tracker. The MSM Nomad is also very tiny. Vixen Polarie was also small.

None of the above would compare to a SAGTI however.

• Like 1

Availability.  They'll go the way of vintage telephotos.  The value will drop somewhat and become a reasonable entry level route for deepsky imaging.

This applies to second hand mounts really 

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 1

There is indeed some weight and footprint advantage, that might count when you need to pack everything in a carry-on bag. Not easy to dig out mount head + dec unit + wedge information, my Fornax with the makeshift DEC unit is just as big and heavy as an SA GTI.

4 hours ago, Elp said:

The only reasons I can think of is:

A. Compactness,
B. Weight,
C. Minimal power requirement,
D. They don't know any better.

One of my previous solutions was even more compact than yours, an Omegon LX, mechanical powered tracker. The MSM Nomad is also very tiny. Vixen Polarie was also small. None of the above would compare to a SAGTI however.

Yes, there is a noticeable price difference, the SA GTI is sold at a premium compared to most trackers. GoTo/ opportunity for dual axis adjustment is certainly a value. SA GTI's are rare on the 2nd hand market, everybody is selling his/her heavy beast HEQ5's now 😅

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Availability.  They'll go the way of vintage telephotos.  The value will drop somewhat and become a reasonable entry level route for deepsky imaging.

This applies to second hand mounts really 

Simplicity is indeed a point when it comes to grab & go. After 2 hours driving to a premium dark site, the last thing you want is to fiddle with the equipment another two hours realizing that the clouds were faster... However, from the ones listed the Skyguider might be the most fiddly as it doesn't even have fine adjustment in DEC. The goto and full motorized system of the SA GTI is great - if, and big IF, "budget quality" doesn't kick in leaving the user in troubleshooting mode. The more complexity is involved the more chance is there for something to go South...

2 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I like my sw gti. It's like a baby full sized mount.

It's a bit fiddly, it can't take much payload, but it lets a noob like me experience all the features of a grown up mount before deciding to rob a bank :)

Edited by GTom

If and when I upgrade my GTi, I doubt I'd sell it. Probably stick my 600d on it and do stuff at same time 

Also, I just plonk it on the ground on my markers and 3ppa in 5 mins. No setting circles stuff that makes my head hurt :) I won't put my Rasa 14 on it when it arrives, however

• Like 1

I've done the whole AP full EQ rig at a dark site. It's simple. Familiarity with the kit setting up and breaking down every time conditions you to be able to do it on autopilot, even blind at times if you've organised your kit appropriately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

I've done the whole AP full EQ rig at a dark site. It's simple. Familiarity with the kit setting up and breaking down every time conditions you to be able to do it on autopilot, even blind at times if you've organised your kit appropriately.

Point taken, but by then all wrinkles-bugs-etc need to be ironed out AND they shouldn't reoccur... That implies quality gear - which I hope e.g. the SA gti is by now.

Edited by GTom

I didn't really have an issue with my azgti in EQ mode, all the issues came randomly via the asiair updates. I did however improve upon certain features (change of vixen saddle locking knob for example) to prevent further future issues in the field, this is normal, improve where you can to make things easier.

Quality gear doesn't necessarily mean it'll make life easier (though it increases the chances), case in point, my last dark site session with a new rig I found the altitude was drooping on my Hem15, then I had to lift the whole rig and mount it onto a pier for clearance. Familiarity prior would have eliminated this, this is far more important getting the best out of your equipment prior to changing any of it.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Good you reminded me, forgot from the timeline: a budget pocket goto AP platform has been around before the sa gti: the eq mutated azgti :). Not being a native stuff, wouldn't call it a straightforward solution though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GTom said:

Not being a native stuff, wouldn't call it a straightforward solution though

It is if you know what you're doing. Update firmware on azgti, add a mini vixen dovetail to the bottom, add it to an EQ wedge (to save your PA sanity just get the WO one), add an eqdir cable to connect the mount to the computer controller. That's all that needs to be done to get it working.

It isn't however an out of the box solution as you need to source the added parts separately, but I got it working first time.

• Like 1