Sol'Ex high resolution spectrohelioscope, that you print on a 3D printer at home

athornett

I would like to wax lyrical about one piece of kit I acquired last year, a Sol'Ex spectrohelioscope - this 3D-printed spectrometer uses very high resolution grating to produce 2D "photo" of the sun as it scans the solar disc, as ridiculously low angstroms (0.2-0.4A are theoretically possible). Recently, an international group of us have commissioned one of our group in Vietnam to produce the housing in gorgeous machined, power-coated aluminium - and it is a beutiful piece of kit.

Shelyak sell optics for the project.

It was conceived by Christan Buil in France and designed to be something you 3D-printed at home and then made yourself - but he gives the contact details of an experienced 3D-printing company who will print the pieces for anyone (like me) who don't have a 3D printer and then you buy optics especially put together for this project from Shelyak and you end up with a high resolution spectrometer than is only a fraction of price of LHIRES and other similar devices.

Also, it can easily be converted to a high resolution star spectrometer - called now Star'Ex!

If you want to find out more look at Sol'Ex: Presentation-en (astrosurf.com)

My own experiences can be seen at www.astronomy.me.uk

I don't have any personal involvement in development of project nor make any money from it! Got to emphasise that in case anyone thinks I am trying to sell something.

I also have limited understanding of a lot of the physics - but I can see the results and it blows my mind!

Now, all I need are some clear skies to take images of the sun.

I should have mentioned Sol'Ex allows you to choose ANY wavelength you want - so you can have images of sun in hydrogen alpha, hydrogen beta, calcium H/K, magnesium, helium, iron, and I gues if you want it anything else you can look up wavelength of the solar spectral lines for..........

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1