NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Aero ED = Astro Tech Titan ED?

It seems to me that the Skywatcher Aero ED eyepieces carried by FLO are the same as the Astro Tech Titan ED Type 2 carried by another UK dealer, and that both are actually the United Optics 2" ED eyepieces. Does anyone else think these are one and the same?

If so, why would you spend £168.50 for the 30mm Astro Tech instead of £103 for the 30mm Skywatcher? :)

I've reviewed the 30mm Aero ED and I've seen photos of the Titan ED's and they look the same and the spec is the same so they probably are the same !

There are often cases of the re-badging of the same item under different brands and sometimes the price differences are quite large. I guess each brand makes it's own decisions on which price point they feel is right for their version of the product.

I think the lesson is to compare prices and specs carefully and don't rush into spending decisions without looking at competative products.

A couple of years ago Vixen marketed a version of the ED100 F/9 chinese made doublet apochromat at a retail price that was significantly higher than the Skywatcher version - it did sell and presumably brand loyalty accounted for some of the sales.

John

I've reviewed the 30mm Aero ED and I've seen photos of the Titan ED's and they look the same and the spec is the same so they probably are the same !

I think the lesson is to compare prices and specs carefully and don't rush into spending decisions without looking at competative products.

John

Thanks John - I think you posted the first reply to my "Recommended finder ep for f/7 102mm refractor" thread on CN. If it wasn't you it's someone with the same kit :D

Anyhoo, both that thread and this are my attempts at comparing price and specs of my many options. As I say in the other thread I really like the 28UWAN and the 23 Axiom LX - although that particular ep is veeery expensive in the UK when compared to the US :)

Archived