Andromeda Galaxy - four panel mosaic

Hughsie

A friend of mine has a project involving M31 and asked what could be done to capture a hi-res image. I played around with my RC8 but decided against it as the mosaic would be enormous given the tight FoV. So we kind of agreed to use my William Optics Z103 and ASI294MC which only required four panels and see how it came out as I have never produced a mosaic before.

So last night I kicked off at 11pm with M31 just clearing 40 degrees altitude, aiming to collect 25 x 120s subs for each panel, up until 3am and the end of astronomical darkness. 

This morning I watched a couple of YouTube videos, chucked the data into PixInsight and came out with a no too shabby M31. Assuming the detail is ok, we should be able to start this project, clouds permitting.

IMG_0726.jpeg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

A friend of mine has a project involving M31 and asked what could be done to capture a hi-res image. I played around with my RC8 but decided against it as the mosaic would be enormous given the tight FoV. So we kind of agreed to use my William Optics Z103 and ASI294MC which only required four panels and see how it came out as I have never produced a mosaic before.

So last night I kicked off at 11pm with M31 just clearing 40 degrees altitude, aiming to collect 25 x 120s subs for each panel, up until 3am and the end of astronomical darkness. 

This morning I watched a couple of YouTube videos, chucked the data into PixInsight and came out with a no too shabby M31. Assuming the detail is ok, we should be able to start this project, clouds permitting.

IMG_0726.jpeg

Very nice image.

• Thanks 1