Dark Side Of The Moon

Tony Acorn

Last night I went to The National Space Centre in Leicester to see and hear a performance of the digitally remastered 1973 Pink Floyd album matched to a mixture of real and artificial astro images of Planets, The Moon, the ISS, NASA's Lunar Orbiter and its Lunar Lander and the ESA's Cassini satellite amongst others. It was certainly impressive and ended with the track "Eclipse" matched to a visual of a solar eclipse. There are some tickets still available for the shows on 9th August I believe but if this gets a wider release and gets to a screen near you, I'd highly recommend it. It does make my efforts at astrophotography pale into insignificance!
PS - parking there is free afer 5pm!

• Like 2

Something similar is on at Jodrell Bank between end of August & mid October --->  Jodrell Bank - Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary we're going in September. Jodrell Bank is just a few miles away from home - it would be rude not to go.

Dark Side of the Moon is, in my humble opinon, one of the best albums ever released. It still sounds as fresh and innovative as it did in 1973; some albums, great though they are, don't and many sound 'of their time.'. Might be cool if they managed to squeeze in 'Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grovving with a Pict' as part of the show.

Chris

Edited by CheshireChris
Clarity & Typo
  • Like 2

Interesting to hear. 

One of my favourite albums as well and one of the first that I ever purchased, with my paper round money, back in the 1970's 🙂

I think Tubular Bells was the very first - that dates me, doesn't it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also on at the Armagh Observatory for those in Northern Ireland 

https://armaghobservatoryplanetarium.ticketsolve.com/ticketbooth/shows/1173654774

And Glasgow 

https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/whats-on/pink-floyds-dark-side-of-the-moon

And Cardiff

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/cultvrlab

I’m sure there will be more…

Edited by ST_Steve
Added Glasgow and Cardiff

33 minutes ago, ST_Steve said:

Go and "fill your boots" music lovers (as the late Fluff Freeman would have said), you will certainly enjoy it. And yes, I bought The Yes Album (plus Tales From Topographical Oceans), Tubular Bells and I own almost all the Pink Floyd catalogue.
Probably over a decade ago, my son and I went to see Roger Waters do DSOTM in Hyde Park and guesting was Nick Mason. The differences between The Planetarium last night and Hyde park were:
1 - Hyde Park had a (comparitively) simple light show and
2 - Weed filled the air at Hyde Park whereas Leicester was strictly no smoking. 🤣
Whilst DSOTM is probably my favourite, the live concert in New York that produced "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" runs it a close second and that is worth sitting down to when Sky Arts sometimes gives it an airing. The full version lasts over 2 hours so it isn't bad to have on whilst stargazing either.

• Like 2