Random cheapo Newtonian to try collimation?

On 18/08/2024 at 17:06, TiffsAndAstro said:

Lol it may take me some time to finish. Atm I'm stuck deciding on a name for it.

TiffsandAstrograph is currently leading.

It won't be f2 unless there are actually f2 mirrors in production.

I have seen a camera cradle/basket for use on a Rasa that could be repurposable.

I'm aiming for a very budget Rasa alternative. Coma corrector obviously complicates it a bit 

Lol you've definitely got a major project on your hands, for sure! Just see how you get on, and if it ultimately proves too challenging, atleast you will know you gave it a good go! And I think "Tiffsand Astrograph" is a fitting name for it!

Yes sorry I forgot about the F ratio needing the correct mirror!

I've seen guys on YT making their own purpose designed 3D printed parts for projects like this, so that could definitely be an option if you're stuck for the correct parts.

maybe integrate the CC into the camera section where secondary once lived? Definitely technically possible but it will all boil down to how much time, energy and most importantly money you feel is justified for the project. I wish you every success my friend!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Lol you've definitely got a major project on your hands, for sure! Just see how you get on, and if it ultimately proves too challenging, atleast you will know you gave it a good go! And I think "Tiffsand Astrograph" is a fitting name for it!

Yes sorry I forgot about the F ratio needing the correct mirror!

I've seen guys on YT making their own purpose designed 3D printed parts for projects like this, so that could definitely be an option if you're stuck for the correct parts.

maybe integrate the CC into the camera section where secondary once lived? Definitely technically possible but it will all boil down to how much time, energy and most importantly money you feel is justified for the project. I wish you every success my friend!

Basic "plan" is f2 mirror and three infinitely stiff tubes meeting at a point somewhere above/behind f2 focal plane.

With enough space behind focal point and where the tubes meet to be able to fit a camera and focal reducer in a cradle and suitable adjustment in 6 (8?) axis...

Just thinking of how to attach the mirror to a baseplate for the tubes is hard. I'm assuming rest is impossible otherwise someone would already have tried it.

At some point I'll learn some basic cad to at least sketch it out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Basic "plan" is f2 mirror and three infinitely stiff tubes meeting at a point somewhere above/behind f2 focal plane.

With enough space behind focal point and where the tubes meet to be able to fit a camera and focal reducer in a cradle and suitable adjustment in 6 (8?) axis...

Just thinking of how to attach the mirror to a baseplate for the tubes is hard. I'm assuming rest is impossible otherwise someone would already have tried it.

At some point I'll learn some basic cad to at least sketch it out.

@TiffsAndAstro wow yes that sounds very challenging mate! Did you see that episode of “astrobiscuit” where he got a viewer to engineer n build him a novel secondary mirror for his small Newtonian? It was awesome! But typically for mr biscuit he broke the bloody thing! poor engineer had to fix it for him! 😱😂

im a total novice with cad, but have seen some people creating amazing cad parts online. I’d suggest putting feelers out online for someone to design n print the parts for you if you don’t know cad. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@TiffsAndAstro wow yes that sounds very challenging mate! Did you see that episode of “astrobiscuit” where he got a viewer to engineer n build him a novel secondary mirror for his small Newtonian? It was awesome! But typically for mr biscuit he broke the bloody thing! poor engineer had to fix it for him! 😱😂

im a total novice with cad, but have seen some people creating amazing cad parts online. I’d suggest putting feelers out online for someone to design n print the parts for you if you don’t know cad. 

How hard can cad be, lol? I have some basic experience with 3d modelling.

I have way more things to consider before that stage , for example sourcing the three infinitely stiff rods to make my pyramid over the primary.

On the upside, pyramids and a  quartz crystal mirror will  energise  each others energy or summit, I read :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

How hard can cad be, lol? I have some basic experience with 3d modelling.

I have way more things to consider before that stage , for example sourcing the three infinitely stiff rods to make my pyramid over the primary.

On the upside, pyramids and a  quartz crystal mirror will  energise  each others energy or summit, I read :)

Oh right? You know I’ve heard that about crystals myself? People wear crystals on their necks and wrists because they’re meant to give you good health through their energy? Well if you think about it, physics still hasn’t worked out what roughly 70% of the universe is made of? Dark energy and dark matter, so maybe crystals are somehow harnessing this mystery energy and matter? 🤔