4 x 26 minute panels of east and west veil nebula

so i think this is about as good as i can get this, and for 26 minutes per panel, i think its acceptable.  hopefully my jpeging of it hides some of the bad bits :)

just free software, nina, siril, starnet, graxpert and microsoft ice. for a non astro dark 2 hour test im quite chuffed.  more hours and maybe this in narrowband with more hours should look great.

p12and34_stitch_stitchfinal.thumb.jpg.6cf3836a7ad3ab3f471679699484d4c8.jpg

• Like 9

Some nice detail there.

Have you tried aligning the panels manually, I think you'll find MS ICE has took some liberties with alignment.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Elp said:

Some nice detail there.

Have you tried aligning the panels manually, I think you'll find MS ICE has took some liberties with alignment.

Only a little bit of trying with manual alignment. How many and big are the liberties? 

I can use a reference image as a guide I guess?

The light saber beam through the eye in the witches broom is an error, I think possibly due to my cleaning my UV/IR cut filter not very well?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

I did a very very rough and quick comparison to one I did as when I imaged it I fit it all into one frame so was interested in how ICE had stitched it. Will upload it in a bit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elp said:

I did a very very rough and quick comparison to one I did as when I imaged it I fit it all into one frame so was interested in how ICE had stitched it. Will upload it in a bit.

i got best results processing each panel by eye then stitching p1 and p2, p3 and p4 and then stitching those two halfs together manually by eye....

im too scared to put my result through a plate solving website incase it makes the ai laugh. did you try that with yours?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

See this, your data overlaid to mine:

By all means mine isnt the best or most accurate data but I imaged this with two different lenses fitting the whole complex within frame, and both sets of data overlaid near perfect other than having to scale one down to fit the other. As you can see, ICE has distorted your Eastern Veil, I wouldn't be surprised if its deleted some sections of sky in the process. I learned this when I tried to stitch a 3 x 3 mosaic, although the end result looked good, when I compared it to a manual stitch sections of the sky was missing and galaxies which were near the region of overlap (not necessarily within the margin) were deleted from the final image. So I'm dubious whenever someone has stated they've used this software for astro.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Elp said:

See this, your data overlaid to mine:

By all means mine isnt the best or most accurate data but I imaged this with two different lenses fitting the whole complex within frame, and both sets of data overlaid near perfect other than having to scale one down to fit the other. As you can see, ICE has distorted your Eastern Veil, I wouldn't be surprised if its deleted some sections of sky in the process. I learned this when I tried to stitch a 3 x 3 mosaic, although the end result looked good, when I compared it to a manual stitch sections of the sky was missing and galaxies which were near the region of overlap (not necessarily within the margin) were deleted from the final image. So I'm dubious whenever someone has stated they've used this software for astro.

I'll have another play.

Did you try plate solving yours?

Ty for doing all this btw

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

1 minute ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Did you try plate solving yours?

I don't need to, it was imaged as what was projected onto the imaging sensor, no mosaic. There may be an element of lens distortion as you get, but I imaged it with two different lenses, they still overlaid fine with no distortion scaling needed to match them up, just overall width and height scaling in equal amounts to align.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

I don't need to, it was imaged as what was projected onto the imaging sensor, no mosaic. There may be an element of lens distortion as you get, but I imaged it with two different lenses, they still overlaid fine with no distortion scaling needed to match them up, just overall width and height scaling in equal amounts to align.

Lol sorry yours is a single frame/panel? Full frame sensor?

That is a fantastic wide field of view. Mosaics are so much 🏀 ache I won't be attempting many I think.

One set of data was a 200mm lens with my 600D, the other 135mm lens with my 183mm, one of the benefits of using camera lenses as they're more flexible for large or widefield imaging.

• Like 1

If you don't have much optical distortion at the edges you can get away with a lower margin. I usually work at 20pc +/- depending on what optics I'm using.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you don't have much optical distortion at the edges you can get away with a lower margin. I usually work at 20pc +/- depending on what optics I'm using.

Don't have my screenshot of Nina framing assistant handy but it was a tight fit for 4 panels.

Maybe I'll try 6 panels next year ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, I'm semi confident having like minimum 4 hours on each

panel will make it easier for ice to stitch pre or post processing.

Veil is around high up for another two months maybe a bit more. That's like 3 clear nights and maybe 8 hours no astro dark :)

Think I'm starting to see the appeal of rasas :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Maybe, but I still don't see how a program can stitch astro without being able to plate solve. You'd likely be better off with astap or something, APP is another.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elp said:

Maybe, but I still don't see how a program can stitch astro without being able to plate solve. You'd likely be better off with astap or something, APP is another.

If I can line up stars and I'm using same gear I can't see how it would be much out. But you're mentioning it so I guess it could be due to stuff I haven't/can't consider. 

I was thinking of trying app I think can do mosaics for free in it. But rather than learn app or astap I will probably wait until I can buy pixinsightand just learn that.

I'm not deleting my data, and ice is a nice tool for trying mosaics out.

fair bit of cloning to remove the spear going through that eye of the witches broom. also the panels aren't lined up perfectly, but as close as i can manage in ice. for 26 mins per panel im pretty happy with this test result.

veilnebula4panelx26x60seccroprgn.thumb.jpg.50545126165491bf20d519cd947520b0.jpg