NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Snapshots of Saturn's rings tilt (2022-2024)

Kon

I had a play with my Saturn captures over the last 3 years (2022-2024). I have only been in the hobby since late 2021 so I only have a 3 year record but the apparent tilt is nicely demonstrated. Looking forward to 2025 when the rings 'disappear'. Skywatcher 200P (2022+2023, manual) and 300P Goto (2024). Asi462mc, 2.5x televue powermate and UV/IR cut filter.

image.png.3a70240c0caed00582ba247040270331.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 21

• Kon changed the title to Snapshots of Saturn's rings tilt (2022-2024)

Fantastic @Kon - thanks for posting.

I've finished three recent sessions in May/June looking at Saturn in the post dawn sky along with it's narrow rings and found it a fascinating aesthetic change. I see it just slightly brighter than your 2024 image but otherwise just as you have captured it - bands and shading and striking ring shadow.

I've noticed there have been some tantalising close arrangements of it's moons to try and spot - enabled by our view of the rings at this angle - but so far i haven't had that success.

👍

• Thanks 1

Those are lovely images Kon - well done! Did you take a series of images and stack them to create a composite or are they individual shots?

I'm just starting on imaging and. although I have a flex-tube 254mm Dob (somewhat cumbersome) and a 150mm reflector (nice but a bit heavy and not that mobile with its HEQ-5 Pro GoTo mount), my latest toy is an 80mm refractor with guide scope and a 585MC un-cooled camera that I hope to be knowledgeable enough to capture the August occultation of this planet by The Moon.

Tony

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, josefk said:

Fantastic @Kon - thanks for posting.

I've finished three recent sessions in May/June looking at Saturn in the post dawn sky along with it's narrow rings and found it a fascinating aesthetic change. I see it just slightly brighter than your 2024 image but otherwise just as you have captured it - bands and shading and striking ring shadow.

I've noticed there have been some tantalising close arrangements of it's moons to try and spot - enabled by our view of the rings at this angle - but so far i haven't had that success.

👍

Thanks. I agree that at the eyepiece the 2024 rings looked a bit brighter but as the seeing wasn't great, the sharpness and further processing hasn't helped. I want to revisit again.

The transits would be good to capture but with work in the morning it is hard to commit to any of them. I will see if anything is going on this weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Acorn said:

Those are lovely images Kon - well done! Did you take a series of images and stack them to create a composite or are they individual shots?

I'm just starting on imaging and. although I have a flex-tube 254mm Dob (somewhat cumbersome) and a 150mm reflector (nice but a bit heavy and not that mobile with its HEQ-5 Pro GoTo mount), my latest toy is an 80mm refractor with guide scope and a 585MC un-cooled camera that I hope to be knowledgeable enough to capture the August occultation of this planet by The Moon.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Yes all images are from videos and in most cases image derotation (with the exception of 2024 as the seeing wasn't great). You should be able to get some excellent images with the 254. Looking forward to your Saturn/Moon occultation. I will miss it as I will be on holidays abroad without a telescope. 

Enjoy the holiday Kon,

I was thinking of using my ASi585MC on the 80mm ED f/6.25 refractor with the ASi120MM attached to a 50mm f/4 guide scope to guide that - it all sits on a Star Adventurer on a Manfrotto 055 tripod and is certainly "carryable".
I could use the 254 Dob with my Nikon camera to take videos even though it is a big bundle to move around to get a clear sight of the occultation. I hadn't thought about that so cheers for that suggestion too. A bonus for me is that, if successful, it might help sell that 'scope later.

28 minutes ago, Tony Acorn said:

Enjoy the holiday Kon,

I was thinking of using my ASi585MC on the 80mm ED f/6.25 refractor with the ASi120MM attached to a 50mm f/4 guide scope to guide that - it all sits on a Star Adventurer on a Manfrotto 055 tripod and is certainly "carryable".
I could use the 254 Dob with my Nikon camera to take videos even though it is a big bundle to move around to get a clear sight of the occultation. I hadn't thought about that so cheers for that suggestion too. A bonus for me is that, if successful, it might help sell that 'scope later.

If I were you I would go for the dob with the 585 as you will get better resolution. This is my moon/mars occultation of 8 Dec 2022 with my 8" and asi462mc (the seeing was awful but still a good event to capture). First image with barlow and second without.

image.png.d29eac2a52759e3fb52e43e95bedcb0e.png               image.png.8ebd86b3d9dc514a24c541d3c4d14a23.png

• Like 3

Lovely series of images Kostas. I have been out observing these past few nights and on two of these I was up until dawn broke more or less. I was considering getting my imaging gear out for Saturn but the seeing at such a low altitude was terrible. I don't think even the use of my ADC would have been of much benefit. Seeing the rings at such an angle in the eyepiece has me yearning to image it properly.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Lovely series of images Kostas. I have been out observing these past few nights and on two of these I was up until dawn broke more or less. I was considering getting my imaging gear out for Saturn but the seeing at such a low altitude was terrible. I don't think even the use of my ADC would have been of much benefit. Seeing the rings at such an angle in the eyepiece has me yearning to image it properly.

Thanks Ian. It's the reason I had a go at it, seeing all the images from my friends. Yes the ADC helped. Seeing seemed ok apart from the clouds and fog when I imaged it. Worth giving it a go if you are up already. I can't commit to much imaging at crazy hours at the moment due to work. Weekend is looking promising.

• Like 2