NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the Maths quadrant of the Moon?

Nik271

I was observing the Moon last evening. It was very low, only 10 degrees above the horizon and the seeing was quite poor so I was using low magnification, only x50 with my 70 ED refractor.

Pythagoras was showing very well with its terraced wall and central peak. Next to it were several prominent craters in shadow which afterwards I identified as Desargues, Pascal and Brianchon. Next to them near the limb are also Poncelet and Sylvester. On the other side of Pythagoras are Markov and Babbage whom I consider also as mathematician (among other things). It struck me that these are all named on mathematicians, and in such a close proximity that it must be part of a deliberate plan.

Does anybody know how thise craters got to be named?

Nik

• Like 2

I think mathematician features are everywhere on the Moon - although the area you describe is one of the most prominent. I just looked it up on Mactutor, and there are 350 lunar features named after mathematicians! Mostly craters. Although a substantial number of those historical figures will have combined mathematics with other scientific disciplines.

• Like 1