Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New pc build for imaging

Hi guys wasn’t entirely sure where to stick this one but as I’m setting up for imaging thought this thread seemed appropriate 

I’ve decided to get into imaging after observing with my dob and mak so bought a camera, lense and gti mount and put my thoughts into processing/imaging

i had an older ddr2 workstation which was pretty power hungry and aged so decided to build a pc for myself for the 1st time in about 10 years

hopefully this will see me right for a bit whilst I get to grips with stacking and pixinsight, the specs incase anyone’s really geeky about pc hardware😃

Corsair 4000D case

MSI 850w PSU

MSI MAG B550 motherboard

AMD 7 5700x cpu

128gb (4 x32gb) Corsair vengeance RAM

samsung 980 pro nvme storage x 2

MSI 2060 6GB GPU

I’ve got a lot to learn, but plenty of great resources around inc this forum

IMG_3661.jpeg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, LunarRob said:

Hi guys wasn’t entirely sure where to stick this one but as I’m setting up for imaging thought this thread seemed appropriate 

I’ve decided to get into imaging after observing with my dob and mak so bought a camera, lense and gti mount and put my thoughts into processing/imaging

i had an older ddr2 workstation which was pretty power hungry and aged so decided to build a pc for myself for the 1st time in about 10 years

hopefully this will see me right for a bit whilst I get to grips with stacking and pixinsight, the specs incase anyone’s really geeky about pc hardware😃

Corsair 4000D case

MSI 850w PSU

MSI MAG B550 motherboard

AMD 7 5700x cpu

MSI 2060 6GB GPU

IMG_3661.jpeg

For some context in case it helps, I'm using an 8 year old gaming pc to do my processing and a 9 year old MacBook pro to control my imaging sessions.

Both work fine for their new uses and a newer desktop will make processing faster but for stacking etc I can go do something while I wait. 

Certainly fast enough for me for maybe 2 images a month cos clouds.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on your new PC! I bought one recently from a supplier, but I think next time around I'll build one myself, partly because the one that I just bought didn't work anyway, LOL!

Oooh, some fancy pants Samsung SSDs? You know, I went nuts and bought myself an 8 TB Samsung SSD last week. It was late at night and I got carried away, and the price seemed much cheaper than elsewhere. Then they emailed me and mentioned it was reconditioned, LOL! No wonder it was a good price... I cancelled the order rather promptly.

Is that one of those fancy, exotic mechanical keyboards? I've never tried one. If it is one, what do you like about it over an olde-style keyboard?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

maybe 2 images a month cos clouds.

Hang in there brother from another country , the clouds are thick this summer in the whole northern hemisfere it seems :clouds1: Half of Romania is hit by storm warnings AND HEAT WAVE WARNINGS !!! The same half !!! Yes...I live there....

• Like 2

Well if I can render 4K video using DaVinci Resolve on a 1st Gen Ryzen 5 1500X  installed into a Prime X370 board with 16GB of DDR4 ram, and a 2GB RX550 GPU, I'm sure you machine will be more than adequate at processing Astro images !

Nice cable management by the way, very tidy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LunarRob said:

Corsair 4000D case

MSI 850w PSU

MSI MAG B550 motherboard

AMD 7 5700x cpu

MSI 2060 6GB GPU

IMG_3661.jpeg

This setup should let you image process for ten years touch wood.

Plenty storage is definitely useful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

For some context in case it helps, I'm using an 8 year old gaming pc to do my processing and a 9 year old MacBook pro to control my imaging sessions.

Both work fine for their new uses and a newer desktop will make processing faster but for stacking etc I can go do something while I wait. 

Certainly fast enough for me for maybe 2 images a month cos clouds.

To be honest that would probably be the sensible thing to do but when I do something I seem to go all out, plus I work in it so will always use it and might even play the odd game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LukeTheNuke said:

Congrats on your new PC! I bought one recently from a supplier, but I think next time around I'll build one myself, partly because the one that I just bought didn't work anyway, LOL!

Oooh, some fancy pants Samsung SSDs? You know, I went nuts and bought myself an 8 TB Samsung SSD last week. It was late at night and I got carried away, and the price seemed much cheaper than elsewhere. Then they emailed me and mentioned it was reconditioned, LOL! No wonder it was a good price... I cancelled the order rather promptly.

Is that one of those fancy, exotic mechanical keyboards? I've never tried one. If it is one, what do you like about it over an olde-style keyboard?

Thanks, I work in IT and have built many over the years but must admit I’m seeing the benefit in getting things already done these days so not a. Ad thing getting a ready built one which is all compatible

yeah I went for the Samsung 1tb’s and they were about £20-30 more but got really good reviews and should hopefully last

I think the used market and refurbished can work out but find there’s not an awful lot between the new price if you shop around

not sure what a built pc Costs these days but for context I had change out of £1000

My son got me into the mechanical keyboards as he uses them for gaming as they are very assuring when you type and so accurate but they just feel good

the one I’ve got was an add one from curry’s it was on offer for £40+ but you can get different resistance on the keys too and you can remove them if you want to give it a proper clean

i too get carried away at night ordering online and sometimes when packages come I wonder what the hell I’ve ordered now 🤔😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bivanus said:

Hang in there brother from another country , the clouds are thick this summer in the whole northern hemisfere it seems :clouds1: Half of Romania is hit by storm warnings AND HEAT WAVE WARNINGS !!! The same half !!! Yes...I live there....

Yeah  we are having such a mix of weather and always with the cloud but it gives me the change to get familiar with everything. Rather than panicking cause it’s so clear and I’m missing it because I can’t work my camera lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

This setup should let you image process for ten years touch wood.

Plenty storage is definitely useful.

That’s the idea really, do it once and do it right and hopefully it will last me for years

i must resist new shiny things 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Well if I can render 4K video using DaVinci Resolve on a 1st Gen Ryzen 5 1500X  installed into a Prime X370 board with 16GB of DDR4 ram, and a 2GB RX550 GPU, I'm sure you machine will be more than adequate at processing Astro images !

Nice cable management by the way, very tidy 

Nothing wrong with worrying with what you have! I usually have a decent pc but offloaded mine to the kids as they wanted to play some until player games with their friends so it was an excuse to get myself something decent back

im ocd with the cabling if it looks messy it shouts at me through the side glass until i sort it out 😃

• Like 2