NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Elephant Trunk in HOO

bri

Hi folks,

My original plan was to process a sho image but it turned out very green so went with hoo instead by using DSS and Gimp.

really need more data by the looks of it and a lot more knowledge on processing. 

Considering I dont have much experience with imaging, im fairly happy with what I got and looking forward to more clear and darker nights.

Ha 10x300s

O3 10x300s

Starfield gear60 f5, asi533mm pro with Antlia 4.5nm filters, mounted on star adventurer GTI

elephanthoo.thumb.png.741d63cb0fd2704d2ffc5eb5f4e740f2.png I

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Hi,

That's very good start!

Find out how to aim at exactly the same point and add more data to the same project. At least ASTAP offers multi-night stacking (light and flat frames). 

The SHO is strongly green, but when you equal the channels it becomes less green. Also, Siril offers a photometric colour calibration. You can play with selective colour correction offered by many programs like PS or Affinity Photo, I hope Gimp also has the features. I don't like the green in SHO too, so I play with sliders... 😉

Good luck 

Edited by Vroobel

2 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Hi,

That's very good start!

Find out how to aim at exactly the same point and add more data to the same project. At least ASTAP offers multi-night stacking (light and flat frames). 

The SHO is strongly green, but when you equal the channels it becomes less green. Also, Siril offers a photometric colour calibration. You can play with selective colour correction offered by many programs like PS or Affinity Photo, I hope Gimp also has the features. I don't like the green in SHO too, so I play with sliders... 😉

Good luck 

Thanks Vroobel!

Im sure the asi air does a plate solve and camera rotate assist from previous data so I can give that a go. Any rough idea how many hours I would need in each filter to balance it out and to get enough signal?

I tried adjusting colours in gimp. But the green (ha) was so overpowering that, bringing any other colours out introduced ugly artifacts. I like SHO so would keep the green if the other colours would come through also but they are not. Not with my knowledge anyway 🙂

Going to try and learn Siril too