Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Black Eye Galaxy [M64]

Posted (edited)

Tried over 4 nights the Black Eye Galaxy, with my wide field rig and although I kept my expectations low due to resolution, I am happy with the final image albeit it feels over-denoised; I pushed for this effect via PS as it offered a better blend with the background (imo). I also applied 3 rounds of saturation boost on the image, to try and get the colours of the galaxy to pop as much as they could. There is a hint of IFN on the top of the galaxy - I will try and get more data next year.

I processed each RGB channel separately by removing gradient > BXT (correct only) > LinearFit > Channel Combination. Then the combined RGB image went through the usual process: full BXT > Image Solve > SPCC > Statistical Stretch > iHDR > DenoiseXT > Masked galaxy >  curves 1st round of saturation).

Then for each of the 2 Lum images, I used Full BXT > Statistical Stretch > iHDR > DenoiseXT > Masked galaxy > LHE > MMT. First applied the 300 sec image via LRGB and then the 180 sec. 

Then moved to PS and used the Camera Roll tool and saturation tools.

RGB: 55 x 120sec each

Lum180: 110 x 180 sec

Lum300: 20 x 300 sec

Data acquired with my Redcat61 + ASI2600MM + Antlia 3nm filters on an AM5, taken from a remote observatory in Spain, Pixel Skies Astro)

RGB_Final.thumb.jpg.2901653f953f74e159adb63c4759d97d.jpg

RGB_cropped.thumb.jpg.f09a6c0febcf835fb1a45be546127b5a.jpg

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 8