Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M92 Globular Cluster

M92 Globular Cluster in the Constellation of Hercules, this data was collected on 24th May, my first imaging session as a father which I referred to here. This cluster wasn't my original target but I decided to image it due to sporadic cloud in the sky but this area was clear. Quite happy with this result, after previously imaging it back in October with no UV filter; what a difference it made, along with the PI and XT tools to process it.

Comments welcome as always 🙂

ZWO ASI 585mc + Starfield 102ED with 0.8 Reducer on HEQ5
Frames - 59 x 60s at Gain 252 (00:59:00), calibrated with 8 darks, 25 darkflats and 20 flats
Filter - Astronomik L2 UV/IR Filter
Stacked in SIRIL
Edited in Pixinsight, XT Suite and GIMP

155a-28-05-24-M92GlobularCluster.thumb.jpg.a83f0cddd9e92cf82220b77649d55300.jpg155aa-28-05-24-M92GlobularClusterAnnotated.thumb.jpg.15879a5522232a026d7c7f2cb534b272.jpg

• Like 10

nicely resolved stars right to the centre and v good star colours. V nice.  The background galaxies come in at around at 400 Mlyrs - good shapes and some colour.  Amazing for only 1hr.  My only comment would be to sharpen up the star edges if possible - a bit soft imho, otherwise vg!

• Like 1

Indeed, it's really good picture. You are stubborn and don't give up, I like it. 😁 👍

I would suggest creating a mask on the stars, inverting it and reducing a colour saturation of the background. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, windjammer said:

nicely resolved stars right to the centre and v good star colours. V nice.  The background galaxies come in at around at 400 Mlyrs - good shapes and some colour.  Amazing for only 1hr.  My only comment would be to sharpen up the star edges if possible - a bit soft imho, otherwise vg!

Thanks! I was surprised for the background galaxies too at only 1 hour, although I didn’t research their distances that’s pretty remarkable! My bortle 4 skies probably help in that.

I don’t recall running any sharpening so I’ll have a look next time I’m at the computer. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Indeed, it's really good picture. You are stubborn and don't give up, I like it. 😁 👍

I would suggest creating a mask on the stars, inverting it and reducing a colour saturation of the background. 

I definitely am lol. I’m not seeing anything on this iPad screen so will take a look at that saturation, it might be some rogue clouds that got through my review after stacking

• Like 1

On 01/06/2024 at 02:18, WolfieGlos said:

M92 Globular Cluster in the Constellation of Hercules, this data was collected on 24th May, my first imaging session as a father which I referred to here. This cluster wasn't my original target but I decided to image it due to sporadic cloud in the sky but this area was clear. Quite happy with this result, after previously imaging it back in October with no UV filter; what a difference it made, along with the PI and XT tools to process it.

Comments welcome as always 🙂

ZWO ASI 585mc + Starfield 102ED with 0.8 Reducer on HEQ5
Frames - 59 x 60s at Gain 252 (00:59:00), calibrated with 8 darks, 25 darkflats and 20 flats
Filter - Astronomik L2 UV/IR Filter
Stacked in SIRIL
Edited in Pixinsight, XT Suite and GIMP

155a-28-05-24-M92GlobularCluster.thumb.jpg.a83f0cddd9e92cf82220b77649d55300.jpg155aa-28-05-24-M92GlobularClusterAnnotated.thumb.jpg.15879a5522232a026d7c7f2cb534b272.jpg

congrats :)

• Like 1