Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shout Out for Open University Course - AGNs

With so many cloudy nights this year, I decided to use the time to dig a bit deeper into some more academic astronomical topics. especially galaxy evolution.

First stop was the attached book. It's a Masters level textbook - but I quickly discovered I'm not. 

Nevertheless it pushed me to research the things I could't understand and I came across OU study material (see below) which was stretching but manageable. I had previously read about Seyfert galaxies, quasars and radio galaxies, but I knew little about the difference between them and even less about how each might have originated.

So even though the 'math' was a little tricky (I was definitely rusty - graduate mathematics was a very long time ago!), once I got the hang of it again, it all made sense.

I still can't claim to be able to join up all the dots in my head, but (with a little help from some Loungers) I now have a much more integrated picture of how these objects fit together. It was also fascinating to consider (as the course does with evidence) that these different evolutionary outcomes might all be part of a continuum.

I even got a nice, new certificate!

Introduction to active galaxies | OpenLearn - Open University

NB I'm still ploughing through the book - and enjoying it - but Halley might be back before I finish it.

Norris (the Engineer)

Skywatcher P150i / ASI 183MC

Galaxy Formation.png

• Like 4

Hi Trated - Scientific notation is relatively simple when you're dealing in squares and cubes, but 10 to the power of minus 28 divided or multiplied by a similar quantity (which might be provided in nano, micro or 'milli' units) can get a bit trickier! It caught me out a few times.!

Also, because the numbers used in astronomy and astrophysics are so large (or so small!), it's sometimes hard to get an intuitive grasp of the data you are manipulating! 

Norris

10 hours ago, Trated said:

As an amateur stargazer, cloudy nights pushed me into the academic side of astronomy, particularly galaxy evolution. OU's course was a challenge, especially with my rusty math skills, but it's been worth every moment.

13 hours ago, Repasustem said:

Hey Norris, I feel you on the scientific notation struggle! It's like decoding hieroglyphics sometimes, right? How did you juggle coursework with your hobbies? Thinking about a university course myself, but kinda scared of the workload.

Well, the OU course is easy to dip into and out of, and its nominally only 20 hours, but it whetted my appetite for more.

I did think some time ago about doing a Certificate in Astronomy & Planetary Science (also OU) but that was a lot more work (600 hours) and I worried I'd be losing valuable imaging time trying to achieve the goal! It's still being run (Course S10).

I guess you've just got to decide what fits best with the other commitments you already have.

Norris

• Like 1