NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thinking of a new guide camera either Zwo ASI290 MM mini or Player one Sedna M

I was all set to go with the Zwo ASI290 mono until I came across the Player one Sedna M which has a IMX178 sensor. The player one has a larger sensor and slightly smaller pixels. So my initial thoughts were that the Player  one would be better, also UK stock is about £60 cheaper than the Zwo ASI 290. 

The guide scope has a focal length of about 200mm though, I might also try the camera with my OAG  on a C8 with F6.3 reducer (focal length about 1300mm).

Am I wrong about the Player one Sedna M or is it a better choice. I should also add that I am only interested in its ability to guide.

I look forward to any thoughts that would help me make my choice.

Thanks,

Ian  

The bigger pixels of the ASI290mm should in theory be better for guiding as you'll get more photons per pixel.

I think the ASI290mm mini is out of production, but the USB3 version still seems to be available. Not sure how well the the USB3 version performs as a guide camera. although there should be no reason for fast frame rates for guiding. The larger bodied cameras might also vignette using an OAG, or may not get close enough to the prism to reach focus - the small bodied mini versions are ideal for that reason, so the Sedna M may win on that count.

The ASI220mm mini superseded the 290mm mini. It is pricey, but I have a 220mm mini for guiding and get good results using an OAG at f7.8, 975mm FL - longer focal lengths are more demanding and the 220mm was recommended for that reason. Not sure how the Sedna compares.

Pixel sizes are small at 2.9um and 2.4um, and would require Binning on the OAG @1300mm FL.

The 290 sensor is 5.6mm x 3.3mm.

The Sedna is 7.45mm x 5mm, this would be the better match to a 8mm x 8mm prism OAG.

Michael