NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice required please.

I am looking for a telescope that will allow me to image Nebula, Galaxies, Planets and Lunar as well as being a good observational instrument.

n.b. I have used a non-motorised 6.25 inch Newtonian for the last 30-odd years and have never done any Astrophotography at all.

I originally decided on a Meade LX90 12" but after realising that the Alt-Az mount would give image rotation on time exposures and it was very heavy... I started looking again.

OK, this is what I’ve decided on : -

10” SkyWatcher Black Diamond on an EQ6 pro GOTO Mount.

Vixen LVW22 Eyepiece

Vixen LVW13 Eyepiece

Vixen LVW8 Eyepiece

Vixen NLV 4mm Eyepiece

Possible stuff… (Do I really need these?) : -

Vixen NLV 40mm Eyepiece or Vixen 42mm LVW 2” Eyepiece.

Vixen 3.5mm LVW Eyepiece in place of the Vixen NLV 4mmEyepiece.

Baader MPCC coma corrector.

The Event Horizon Focuser (EV) Hi-Precision Zero image shift 2-speed focuser for Newtonian Telescopes, With motor and Digital readout.

I still need some sort of CCD camera unless My EOS400D with a Lumicon Adaptor could be used, but I would prefer a dedicated CCD colour device.

What (if anything) do I need as a guide scope/electronic guide for long time exposures?

Would I be better using the main scope for all my imaging or getting a smaller Refractor piggybacked onto the main scope?

What filters would I need for imaging?

Would I need any filters for observing?

Right... Is there anything that I have missed off the list, like do I need any sort of collimator, lens/mirror cleaning stuff etc.

Or (worst case scenario) are there better scopes and mounts that I could spend this amount of cash on?

I believe (rightly or wrongly) that a 10” f4.7 mirror will give me better resolving power, lower Magnitude stars visible and shorter exposure times than a 5”-6” refractor and be a shed load better on DSO and Planetary detail.

BUT THEN….

I saw the thread on the Skywatcher 8" Mak-Newt Astrograph...

So now I don’t really know what I want any more…. :)

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

SC

Hi SC,

its a hard choice as I am delving slowly into AP, I would have a good look at the threads in this forum and cloudy nights also contact FLO or Modern astronomy and have a chat, Steves' new book "make every photon count" is very good starting point for the budding AP'er.

I think you will find the mount is adequate visually (with a 10" Newtonian) but not for imaging.

For imaging, the mount is (almost) everything; the right load for an EQ6 is a 80mm or at most 100mm refractor, a 6-8" SCT or a short focus 6" Newtonian. A 10" Newtonian needs an Astrophysics or Paramount. The relative lack of aperture is not such a handicap with digital cameras, there is no reciprocity failure you you just make longer exposures.

Hi adamsp123 and thanks for the info, I'll do that.

Cheers

SC

Hi brianb and thanks for taking the time,

I think you will find the mount is adequate visually (with a 10" Newtonian) but not for imaging.

A 10" Newtonian needs an Astrophysics or Paramount.

While I appreciate what you are pointing out I really don't have the sort of funds that will run to that price for a mount, I only wish I did, but I have around £5000 total (including the shipping price) and I will probably have to get the equipment from Australia as I haven't found anywhere in New Zealand that stocks the Items I require so I can't even go to the shop for a look see and a play about with equipment so I can get a feel for the rigidity and build quality, I will have to rely on other peoples advice and experiences and with it and use that information to make an informed decision.

I did look at APO's (127mm to 150mm) but went back to the reflector due to it being more light gathering power for your £ (or $ as it is now for me).

It is a fine balance of what I think I want, what I really need and what I can actually afford.

Cheers

SC

I don't fully agree with brianb, the EQ6 is a beefy mount it easily handles my 10" SNT at 10Kg for visual and AP and eats my 120ED+C80 combined together, many folks at SGL were using EQ6s for photography, see photos under http://stargazerslounge.com/sgl4-aftermath/ lots of EQ6s, Steve and James from FLO had a SW 190MN + guidescope on one for AP - there is a photo in that link of it.

Yes if you can afford one get a more massive mount but EQ6 is a good buy IMO.

Email FLO with your question I am sure you will get a quick response from them.

Hi adamsp123,

Thanks for that. It would be nice to have a rock solid mount and there is nothing wrong with overkill in that department but I just can't afford it.

I have a one-off chance to get some decent kit but I am limited to £5,000 top wack and I really need some advice on what I will need to do the job the best for the cash available... I would still like a 12" scope but I am informed that Skywatcher don't export the 12's to the southern hemisphere as yet (appart from Dob's that is), no idea why.

Cheers

SC

How about this setup?

AP & Visual - SW190Mak Newt + (cheap 80mm Achro Refractor + QHY5) for guiding.

EQ6 Pro Mount

thats about £2100 That would IMO be what I would go for for AP

Visual only so you could buy for £1100 ish the new SW 12" DOB with motor drive drives.

so That £3300 + delivery, money left for EPs Camera etc etc.

Archived