NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Posted (edited)

Wasn't it amazing!  I live on a reasonably dark road above Hexham Northumberland.  Somewhat obscured by trees and hedges, but there is a farm gate around 100 yards along with an open view North. So I set up my Canon 700D there and waited.  Nothing seemed to be happening around 10:43 pm, just the usual twilight and sunset glow.  But then what appeared to be a band of thin cloud overhead started to show a bit of colour, and soon brightened to the point that it was showing colour on my camera live view screen.  At that stage it was just a narrow band.  Of course I hadn't expected the display to be so high, and as you can see overhead telephone and power lines got in the way.  I've left them in on the first two aurora images.  The third one was also from that location, but I Photoshopped the lines out.   Then I moved to my back garden where the last one was taken - again I had to Photoshop power lines out.  In those two images they were low down anyway.  You can just see Corona Borealis in the top left corner of the last one - more visible on larger versions.  I'll be posting them on my web site eventually.   Although the aurora alert continued very strong, clouds arrived before midnight, so that was that.  All the aurora photos were 8 seconds at ISO400 with 17 mm lens at f3.5, and have of course been Photoshopped to bring out the colours.  I see from Aurorawatch that the emissions got even stronger later and are still showing red as I write.  Fingers crossed for tonight again although the forecast here isn't very promising 🙄

Cheers,  Peter.

2243.jpg

2310a.jpg

2310b.jpg

2319.jpg

2335.jpg

AW.jpg

Edited by petevasey
Added more information
  • Like 11