NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

some cruddy pics of the sun, with love

Couldn't resist the allure of seeing 3664! this is my 3rd time trying to photograph the sun and the first time I managed to get slightly more than a misshapen fried egg, so I'm quite proud! All I have is my samsung s21, a celestron travel scope, and my shaky hand so please be gentle 😄 

20240510_1123540.jpg

20240510_112350.jpg

20240510_111624.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steve Ward said:

What filtering are you using on the 'scope ? 

I find the background somewhat alarmingly bright.

https://www.celestron.com/products/eclipsmart-solar-filter-for-powerseeker-70az-and-eq-and-travel-scope-70-telescopes

This fella
, thank you for the concern! My phone camera was struggling with the eyepiece, and I had it zoomed in. Perhaps that made things seem brighter?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeTheNuke said:

It's much better than my attempt yesterday with an action camera and then a tablet!

thank you 😁
just poked my nose in your gallery, high quality stuff! i hope you'll find time to make more

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shinebug777 said:

https://www.celestron.com/products/eclipsmart-solar-filter-for-powerseeker-70az-and-eq-and-travel-scope-70-telescopes

This fella
, thank you for the concern! My phone camera was struggling with the eyepiece, and I had it zoomed in. Perhaps that made things seem brighter?

I'd recommend highly swapping the filter for one that uses Baader Astrosolar film.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I'd recommend highly swapping the filter for one that uses Baader Astrosolar film.

why's that? some quick googling tells me the quality of the view is superior, which is definitely convincing enough, but is there another reason you recommend it? thanks!

Edited by shinebug777

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, shinebug777 said:

why's that? some quick googling tells me the quality of the view is superior, which is definitely convincing enough, but is there another reason you recommend it? thanks!

The only thing that beats Baader for quality of views/images is a good Herschel wedge ( and the difference between those is marginal ) every other film or glass filter I've used/tested doesn't come close in terms of resolution.

Seymour , Thousand Oaks , and anything still called Mylar film like yours  , is fit for little else but Eclipse Glasses in my humble opinion , based on 12 years of imaging using Baader film ... :happy8:

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

The only thing that beats Baader for quality of views/images is a good Herschel wedge ( and the difference between those is marginal ) every other film or glass filter I've used/tested doesn't come close in terms of resolution.

Seymour , Thousand Oaks , and anything still called Mylar film like yours  , is fit for little else but Eclipse Glasses in my humble opinion , based on 12 years of imaging using Baader film ... :happy8:

okay! Thanks so much I'll try to find one for my scope 😄

• Like 1