NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Herschel 400 Part II

In 2021, I finalized the complete Herschel 400 part 1 observing list. When you have a list to complete, you find extra motivation to plan your observing sessions, select constellations to explore, and roughly note the location of the object in relation to the stars of your chosen constellation. There is then the satisfaction of success and the joy of planning the next session; all in all, you have a great motivation. After completing the Herschel 400 list, part one, I thought about starting the Herschel 800 list (Herschel 400 part two), but somehow quite a long time went by without noticing after the lists.

I used to write down all my observations in an Excel file, so I had all the details since my first observation sessions...

The cloudy nights of December 2023 prompted me to look in my observing logbook to see what objects I have observed so far from the Herschel 400 II list, without knowing that it was on this list. I've observed a lot so far over the times and I was sure I`d find H400II objects and. I have identified 54 H400 II objects observed over time, so as of December 19, 2023 I started systematically observing the list , and as of today I have observed 335 Herschel 400 part 2 list objects.

Below there is a short description of each observing session in which I observed the objects on this list. I mention that up to 335/400 I used exclusively my 8" Dobsonian telescope (203/1000) together with the Baader Hyperion 8-24 Mark IV zoom eyepiece.

Update 19.12.2023 (87/400)

On 19 December 2023 , with clear skies, I went out to observe at Tarnova (Romania)  with a Bortle 4 sky, this time prepared with the H400 II list. During the course of the evening, I added another 33 objects, bringing the total number of Herschel 400 II-listed objects observed to 87 out of 400. This time, I observed sporadically, limiting myself to only a few constellations, but choosing "lighter" objects to keep the motivation 

Update 09.01.2024 (114/400)

On 9 January 2024, I continued observing the H400 II list at a StarParty organised by the Galaxis Astroclub at Tarnova, under a Bortle 4 sky. I added 27 more objects.

The list is difficult for an 8" aperture telescope, but not impossible. Most galaxies in constellations close to the horizon are barely distinguishable with peripheral vision, and those directly visible all seem to look roughly the same - like a diffuse cloud, a barely observable speck in the field of view.

The SkySafari app is a great help, showing me exactly what my field of view is. This makes it much easier for me to identify what I'm seeing, or to make sure I've actually seen the object.

Update 13.01.2024 (120/400)

This evening I went out to a Bortle 4/5 sky in fairly windy conditions, which made the -3 degree temperature seem much lower in the field of view I observed from, using the Dobsonian Omegon 8" telescope.

I added 6 objects to the H400II list, so I now have 120 Herschel 400 II objects already observed, although I realise that to see the list with an 8" telescope, I need dark skies, below Bortle 3 and good transparency conditions.  In this relatively bright polluted sky, it was very difficult to observe the object in the eyepiece.

Update 30.01.2024 (138/400)

I went out to observe at Tarnova. I managed to add 18 more H400II objects, so the list reaches 138/400. I used the Omegon 8" newton telescope on dobson mount.

Update 15.02.2024 (173/400)

On 15 February,  it was finally clear sky again, I went out for observations. Although the Moon was in the sky in a high enough phase to see my shadow on the field near the village of Tarnova. In the sky of bortle 4, with the Moon in the West, I observed 35 galaxies to the East, belonging to the Herschel 400 II list, so I reached 173 objects observed out of 400.

Update 03.03.2024 (200/400)

I went out to observe at Tarnova. The sky was not perfectly clear, there was a layer of fog or some moisture in the atmosphere. However, I managed to observe 28 more galaxies from the Herschel 400 II list, bringing us to the halfway point of the list, i.e. 200 objects observed out of 400.

Update 11.04.2024 (257/400)

After a period with a moon in the sky or an atmosphere full of Saharan dust, tonight finally looked like it would be clear enough, and worth trying a stargazing outing. I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Târnova, to fill in some more from the H400II list. Arriving at the location, I noted the presence of some transiting clouds, so I moved on to all sorts of observations, from Comet 12P to all sorts of known objects. Later, after complete darkness, I attacked the Big Dipper and Virgo, and sporadically a constellation that got in my way :) I managed to see everything in Ursa Major except two nebulae in the galaxy M101, for which I'll be using larger telescopes, 8" being below the limit for these objects. Then I started the constellation Virgo, where I orient much harder, but determined. I managed to add 57 objects to the list, so that currently I have observed 257 out of 400. Next time I will continue in Virgo.

Update 12.04.2024 (281/400)

This evening, being clear, I couldn't help going out and observing the H400II objects, especially the Hydra constellation, which I was in danger of setting if I waited too long. The conditions were not ideal, and the Moon began to brighten the sky, but I observed 24 H400II objects. This brought me to 281 objects observed out of 400.

Update 28.04.2024 (316/400)

I went out to Tarnova for observations with the 203/1000 Dobsonian telescope. Under a Bortle 3/4 sky, using the Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom eyepiece, I observed 35 galaxies, part of the H400II list. The constellations taken for the "Herschel purge" were Bootes and Virgo.

With that, I reached 316 objects observed out of 400, i.e. I'm entering the last (difficult) hundred, where I'll definitely need a larger aperture on some galaxies... From Ursa Major I still have 2 impossible to see in 8", from Canes Venatici 2, and there are more through Hydra, Crater, Corvus that will require 12" aperture.

Update 29.04.2024 (335/400)

I'm out observing again, this time at Grosii Noi , where the sky has a Bortle classification of 2. I'm realizing again how important a dark sky is, especially for observing very faint objects. I was able to see galaxies that from other locations I couldn't see at all. I ticked off 18 galaxies from the Herschel 400 II list, bringing me to a total of 335 objects observed out of 400.

I also managed to observe those objects that didn't show up from other locations, and the remaining 65 objects will be visible in the summer and fall. I estimate that in the fall I will complete the observation of this list, especially since I will also have access to larger telescopes in the summer if needed.

Edited by Armand Popa
formating
  • Like 3

That is phenomenally fast progress @Armand Popa - really productive sessions. So many Herschels are in the spring sky.

How do you find H400 II vs H400 I - does it feel like more of the same or does it feel meaningfully trickier?

I keep track of what i've seen in both lists (though i don't deliberately go looking for H400 II ever and don't really focus on H400 I very often). I have a whopping 10 objects ticked on the H400 II list 🙂 

In a few years time when i can tell what i have left to go after in either/both of these 400 lists (and assuming those things are at the harder end) i will get serious and rent or buy an appropriate scope to chase the last few and/or depending if they are seasonally concentrated or not - go to a good dark reliably clear sky for a "mop up" set of sessions. I am years away from that though at my current rate of progress.

Are the ones you have left doable within the calender year or do you have to wait for any misses to come round again to favourable viewing elevations?

• Like 1

josefk, thanks for your appreciation! Spring is when most Herschel objects are on the sky, most of them being galaxies through Virgo, Coma,Cvn, UMa, Boo, Dra, Hya, Leo and others.That's why we had the big bump in observation.  Then I couldn't have done it without using the SkySafari app, which I can set up so that I can see on my phone's screen exactly what I see in the eyepieceand finderscope. This helps a lot in identifying objects, basically becoming a kind of manual goto :) 

Between parts 1 and 2 of the list, the main difference is that in part 2, many galaxies can only be seen with adverted vision, while in part 1 they can be seen with direct vision. Part 2 is recommended for 12" telescopes, so I am pushing the 8" telescope, but compensating the aperture with dark sky...I think  the 2nd part of the list it's definitely harder. 

The remaining objects are visible in summer and autumn, so I'm on the list. The only remaining objects from Uma are 2 nebulae in the galaxy M101, which cannot be seen with my 8" telescope, but Uma is circumpolar, so in summer and autumn mornings also try M101 with the large telescope.

Good luck to you too in completing the lists!

• Thanks 1