NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal length for first attempt with nina and 3ppa

It probably depends on what plate solving software and database you are using in NINA. Have you tried just plate solving an image in NINA with exactly the setup you will be using, if that works fine I imagine 3PPA will also work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PhilB61 said:

It probably depends on what plate solving software and database you are using in NINA. Have you tried just plate solving an image in NINA with exactly the setup you will be using, if that works fine I imagine 3PPA will also work.

never tried nina before, so i didn't realise it was possible to plate solve with a previously taken image, will google and have a look how ty.

also i've set up astap with the first of the new big databases. hopefully that was the correct choice.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

To plate solve a previously taken image go to the Framing tool, at the top on Image source choose "file" then "Load Image" browse to your file location and select. On next screen enter any missing data, pixel size etc then choose which solver to use. With ASTAP it should solve within a few seconds, maybe a bit longer for blind solving 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PhilB61 said:

To plate solve a previously taken image go to the Framing tool, at the top on Image source choose "file" then "Load Image" browse to your file location and select. On next screen enter any missing data, pixel size etc then choose which solver to use. With ASTAP it should solve within a few seconds, maybe a bit longer for blind solving 

hey ty for this. yeah i tried it using plate solve and it didn't like it. too wide an fov try using g05 database? i was about to give that a go this morning when i say your post. 

I just tried blind solving and....i think it worked.  its showing me an image with annotation that looks correct :)

so my next question is, can i use blind solving during 3ppa or should i go get the g05 database and use that?

ok well i just tested 2 subs that didn't work but with g05 now they do :)

do i need to set image source back to a particular setting once im done so its ready to do 3ppa first time ? :) :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

If the g05 database works that's great, no need to reset anything in the framing assistant. 3ppa will take an image and send it directly to Astap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhilB61 said:

If the g05 database works that's great, no need to reset anything in the framing assistant. 3ppa will take an image and send it directly to Astap.

Great ty, can wait for 3ppa to work perfectly first time I try it for real ;)

first clear sky attempting 3ppa with nina went really well, laptop battery life and shiity 25 year old usb hub issues aside :)

whether my pa was as accurate as nina said who knows. next clear skies ill repeat it and try some very long exposures to test it? i was only using a 50mm lens, so im not sure how accurate 3ppa really can be with a big fov.