NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RC10 Truss Tube grab handle

I've never been particularly strong, and once I retired the upper body strength I acquired from years of handling stuff as part of my business has mainly deserted me!  So as the years progress I find my telescope increasingly difficult to lift off and particularly lift on to my observatory mount which is quite high on its pier.   Some of you may recall in other threads I was considering selling the quite heavy RC10 and getting something easier to handle.  It's not just the weight, there is plenty to get hold of and the truss tubes at the front are ok, but although the rear plate has lots of slots in it they are quite small and of course have uncomfortable square edges.  But I had a thought, and after some browsing bought a grab handle which I fitted to the back plate.  And it has made a considerable difference.  Much more comfortable and the shape I chose allows for my grip to move as required when positioning the telescope's dovetail in the mount clamp.  I shopped around, and eventually bought this one.  Not cheap I know, but of very good quality.  BUT if anyone wants to follow my lead, you need to be able carefully to drill and tap the backplate to accept suitable screws.  I used 6 mm socket cap.  The position I chose works well for me - I am right handed, but of course the position is a matter of personal preference.

Cheers, Peter

RC10 handle.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 2