NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Maps

As a Newbie to astronomy (3 weeks) having just bought my first telescope a Celestron NexStar 4SE and 8mm X-Cel eyepiece, I am currently "getting to know the moon".

I am trying to find a map of the moon which I can use outside, which is laminated, approx A4 in size and which is reasonably detailed but I cannot seem to find anything like this in the UK and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?

:icon_rolleyes: Hi and welcome to SGL, Matt.

I'm not sure where you can get one in the UK, but S&T's Field Map of the Moon is excellent. It's laminated and very sturdy... mine's about 3 years old and has survived sitting in a 41°C shed in the summer and being used in the winter when it's -21°C outside. When the quadrants are folded it's about 12" or so square.. very managable scopeside, and loaded with lots of info without being too crowded.

Matt

The S&T field map that Carol has recommended is excellent while at the telescope.

I find sometimes it just has not the absolute detail that you might need.

I was looking at crater Armstrong & Collins the other night and referred to this online catalog of the Moon.

You might find it useful for critical identification of craters.

Digital Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas of the Moon

Paul

Archived