NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evening All,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am a down to earth guy (pardon the pun) who loves football, having a beer and a decent social life, however i have always had a fascination to the skies and beyond. Although i am new to astronomy to an extent, i do know most of the planets. stars and constellations in the night sky with the naked eye. So now here's the thing, i have now purchased a Sky watcher Skymax 127 AZ GTi and have set it up, fully aligned and have pretty much mastered the operational functions along with the App SynScan Pro. So here's where i need your advice, this set up came with standard lenses at 40mm. 25mm and 10mm which work ok. I have done some research and have consistantly been nudged to a Nagler Type 6 13mm?!!! 

Can anyone out there, wherever in this galaxy give me some advice? I want to observe planets in detail along with DSO.

Go easy on me 🙂

You are advised to replace the 10mm eyepiece with a better quality eyepiece (aim to spend about £50), which should give you a noticeable improvement in resolution on double stars and planets.  There is no urgent need to buy anything else.  With a focal ratio of  around f10 or f12, your scope will be easy on eyepieces and there should be no need to buy exotic eyepieces with three figure price tags. If you want to buy widefield eyepieces, that's up to you. 

You should buy or make a dew shield if you do not have one already. 

If you live in an urban area with the associated light pollution, faint fuzzy objects will be a disappointment. 

• Like 1

Hi Geoff, Thanks for the advice, i have received the Dew shield today so will use that to suit. Luckily i live on the top of a hill with minimal light polution, so i'm looking forward to clear skies.

Appreciate you coming back to me.