Mount Maintenance

Ed in UK

Do any of you ever grease/oil the worms/gears in your mounts, if so what are you using?

The reason for asking is on my EQ2 mount, on the RA axis/control there seems to be a point where it's a little tighter/harder to turn/rotate than other positions. Never really noticed it before, it was only fitting an RA drive motor that brought it to light.

Try loosening the RA motor bracket just a very small amount, not so it's loose, just so it's held rather than tightened right up. Small differences in the gears can cause this binding as the tolerances on these kind of mounts is not great. I doubt it's the grease but if you do want to strip, clean and regrease, use lithium grease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

Try loosening the RA motor bracket just a very small amount, not so it's loose, just so it's held rather than tightened right up. Small differences in the gears can cause this binding as the tolerances on these kind of mounts is not great. I doubt it's the grease but if you do want to strip, clean and regrease, use lithium grease.

Thanks @Franklin,  I was advised not to over tighten the ‘T’ Bolt that holds it in place. I have it just nipped up. 

Point taken on tolerances though, not thought of that 👍.

• Like 1