NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Swindon Stargazers.....

Astro_Baby

Dont know if this would be of interest to anyone in the Swindon area....

I was out at a rallying event yesterday and we were on what was obviously an ex airfield from WW2 at a place called Down Ampney Farm - its owned by Co-op Farms and the Rally people hire it out. I'd imagine the Co-op wouldnt object if they were asked nicely if it could be used by an astro-club.

The Lat/Lon co-ordinates are;

+51° 39' 35.90", -1° 50' 51.07"

Its a wide open space, flat as a pancake in every direction and theres just about nothing for miles. I cant see any real ligh pollution issues round there -Swindon would be to the South-West but quite some distance I'd think.

The Rally people told me the site suffers minor vandalism at night so it would be unsuitable for anything fixed but it may make a great location for a club to hold observing sessions. The roads around the farm are paved but in bad condition and the entrance drive is a nightmare - the biggest pot holes I have ever seen but still driveable.

Wind conditions seems a bit gusty yesterday as the grounds very flat - I cant say if that would be a permanent feature.

Anyway I thought someone round that area may be interested in the site.

Archived