NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CPC 800 Dovetail bar.

Hi All, have a cpc800 on the standard dual fork.

I want to fit a dovetail bar so i can mount my dew controller but i keep seeing that the cpc800 has to have the finder scope (star sense in my case) removed. Does this mean i cannot mount the dovetail bar, the dew controller and the star sense camera all at the same time???

I'm assuming the dovetail bar attaches to the tube where the finder scope bracket is...

Edited by cornz

When I wanted to add a second finderscope mounting position on my Skymax (similar optical tube design to your cpc), as the Ioptron mount attaches the OTA on the opposite side to the /skymax mount. I did not want to drill into the tube body, so I used Araldite epoxy adhesive to attach a second bracket. A dovetail bar could be attached in a similar way. The photo, below, shows the original finder bracket, bottom right of the OTA; and the new one, top left.

127mmMak3.5kgweight.jpg.4470813b364da5092bbd6fa58b2415c9.jpg

This is a close-up of the new bracket.

127mmMakinzeroposition(dovetaildetail).jpg.fcc0eaaaf128dc7515ee130f50975175.jpg

Geoff

Aralditing anything to my OTA is a no-no. Ditto drilling, tapping indeed anything like that ( I damaged an  OTA years ago, cost me a lot, lesson learnt).

It was something i had already considered but it's a step too far for me to do that.

I've asked Celestron. Hopefully they may have a solution. I mean in the worst case i have to mount the dew controller elsewhere but i'm trying to neaten up the scope and make it more portable.

The OTA has various holes on the front and back castings for attaching stuff.   There may be a set that will take a dovetail bar. If not, just fit some sort of bracket to the back casting via  the available holes.  Clue; my CPC800 has a red-dot finder And a RACI finder on separate brackets.